Soap Quesiton

Discussion in 'Crafty Cabin' started by K-Ro, Oct 24, 2007.

1. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I tried a new recipe for Goat Milk Soap. This is a Brown Sugar and Honey soap.

It went to trace fine and I poured it and let it sit, it is almost 48 hours now and it has not hardened much at all. Matter a fact it is not much past trace now.

Any ideas? I am going to leave it for a few weeks and see if it hardens. I was just curious if a more experienced soaper might know what happened. Thanks

2. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I'm not experienced at all and have been having problems with my own mixture, so I'm not sure I can be of much help, but you have my empathy that's for sure!

Is this an actual recipe that you followed, or did you create it yourself? It could be you didn't use enough lye for all the liquid.

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    This is an actual recipe that I can usually add a couple ounces of essential oil, oatmeal and/or aloe too with no problems. The only difference is this batch I added brown sugar and honey to it, so I wasn't sure if it was the honey or sugars that changed things around.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sorry, I know NOTHING about making the soap. I am a expert on using it, so if you get it figured out, and you or anyone would like to sell some, I would rather buy for my "friends", then someone that I do not know.
    So let me know.

5. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    It could be that the honey and sugar added just enough liquid that there wasn't enough lye to make it harden. It sounds like the batch you've got might make a good "liquid" soap. :D My soapmaking notes say that more lye = firmer soap, less lye = softer soap. I guess I'd try it again with a little more lye and see what happens.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Pam...the sugars...as well as the mollasses in the brown sugar added more "liquid" to the recipe...try a bit more lye...it should then set up for you.Or you can decrease a small amout of the water or milk that you use to dissolve the lye. Hope it works for you...it does sound like a good recipe..as far as using the brown sugar.

7. littledipperfarms

littledipperfarms New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Kelseyville, CA
    Typically, the sugar, honey, etc should make no difference in the hardening. Its your lye. You need more. You'd definately know if you put too much lye in. It doesnt even trace, just instantly hardens. Hope this helps!!
    Sierra

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Northern NY
    PLease please never just put in a little more lye . everything should be run thru a lye caculator ! Honey should heat up soap . You did not say how much you used . Throw out that batch and start over . Go to
    http://www.thesage.com/

Use there caculator and add ALL of your ingredients . If that comes out OK then your scale is off.

Patty

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    K-RO, did you ever get this figured out?

Do you have any soaps yet, or Lotion?