Soap Recipes

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Idahodreamer, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Does anyone have a really good soap recipe that doesn't ask for goat milk?
    I have been looking everywhere, but I can't seem to find anything that really sparked my interest.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can use any recipe but instead of goats milk use oil (if it already calls for oil just use more oil)

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

No thats not correct- use water in place of milk if the recipe calls for milk

if you use more oil and dont account for it in your lye measurement, your soap will not saponify

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    My favorite is olive oil castile soap. All that you need to make it is olive oil, water, and lye. It makes really hard and long lasting bars that lather well...and it is the gentlest soap I have ever used--It is the only soap in my bathroom and I use it for body, face, and hair! It is also really easy to remill in small batches if you want to experiment with different additives.

Recipe I use is:
    52 oz Olive Oil
    20 oz Water
    7 oz Lye

Mix the water and lye together in a pitcher and set it aside. Next, put the olive oil in a large pan and heat it to about 115*F then take it off the stove. Check the temp of the lye mixture and use a cold water bath to get the temp to about 105*F. When the oil and lye mixture are both between 100* and 105*F you can slowly pour the lye mixture into the oil while stirring with the other hand. Now you have to stir for a really long time--45 min to an hour. You won't notice much tracing with this recipe. Next, pour it into a large mold and wrap the mold in towels to insulate it.

Check the mold twice a day and stir in any oil that has risen to the top...usually after the second or third day you won't have to do this anymore. After about 5 or 6 days you can remove the block of soap from the mold. Let it dry for another day or two and cut it into bars. At this point, it can either be remilled or left to dry. Will be good to use in about a month.

5. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Thanks!! I am defintely gonna try your recipe, funny river!!
    Thanks everyone for your replies. :)