The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first two goats were raised by there mothers and they were handled from birth so they were very well socialized by the people I got them from. I recently got two Pygmy does with babies that are already about eight weeks old and the does are pretty good and they aren’t too skittish they come to food and let me pet them and eat pretty well, but the babies don’t come very close or let you pick them up you have to catch them and then they scream there head off to mom. I’ve only had them for a few days and I know for the first two days they are not gonna like me because I have to deworm them and give them their first shots but I would like to know any tips going forward to help socialize them and get them friendly since I was not able to be present in their first initial socialization when they were first born and I came late in the game. I would also appreciate any tips for socializing the mothers as well at the moment they are quarantined before they go with the rest of my small herd so tips for introducing new goats are great too.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You need time and patience and treats.
Go out in the pen and just sit with them. Bring some treats and tasty leaves and put them next to you. Once they associate you with food they will be more willing to come close. Read a book out loud or talk to them so they learn your voice. Just let them know you are not a threat. Once they are comfortable around you, try to pet them a little, you may only get a few strokes at first. But once they warm up to you you'll be buds before you know it.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
729 Posts
I completely agree with Kass above. There is no substitute for spending time with them. That said, each goat is different. Some goats may never delight in human touch while others will crave it to the point of being very annoying. Not only that, but they can change dramatically over time. I have a doe who as a doeling loved being petted, scratched and played with. One day she decided that just being touched while tethered and eating was a horrible thing. At other times, though, she'll demand a good head scratch.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yes I forgot to say that! There's nothing wrong with a goat or you if they don't crave your attention. One of my goats could care less if I pet her, and another will butt the others away to make sure she's the only one getting scratches. It all depends on the goat.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
My first nubian was a wild unhandled doe that the breeder only caught after her first kidding by catching her kids. I had been wait listed for an available doe for two seasons before she cane available. Amazing doe too just unhandled. Once I got her home I kept her in a small stall with her kids for a straight week. I would sit with raisins hand feeding the kids and then got her taking raisins by the 3 day.
After that it just took time sitting in the field with treats mainly raisins and bananas. She became the best goat but was still a bit jumpy and untrusting of anyone that wasn't myself or my hubby.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts