The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! i just got my goats yesterday (finally!) and i want to start training them as soon as this darn rain stops. i know i will haveto teach them the basivs and work my way up but its spring and there will be plenty of rainy days to work on a soft pack. the problem is i dont have a pattern. i have some ideas for a pattern but i havent tried them yet. milky way is a yearling and moonbeam is about 14 wks. how long should i wait to start with the soft packs after they listen to me without a pack?

any training tips are welcome also!

·
Registered
847 Posts
You'll find other threads on soft packs. Some people never use them.

Play with the babies such that they trust you implicitly, and you won't have to train them at all with packs.

So let them wear hats, and scarfs. Hold them, lay them down. roll them over. If they learn to trust you when they are little, they will always trust you unless you do something to betray it.

When they are large enough to pack, they will take right to it, because they trust you. So you don't need to be in a hurry.

But, if you are too excited to wait for them, then the basic soft pack has to have enough straps to hold it in place so they don't get tangled up. So it needs a strap around the front, the rear and the chest. And it should only have soft stuff in it so it doesn't hurt your goat. And it should be very light so that it is more like clothing than packing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.