Soft Poo - Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Sara S, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Sara S

Sara S New Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Newton, IA
    I am a new goat owner - just brought my 3 Nubian wethers home 2 weeks ago. They were born in May and June. They've been having clumpy poo (small berries stuck together), which I assumed was due to the change in environment and diet. They were all given a dewormer by the vet a week ago Friday. They are eating grass hay, grass from the yard, and leaves off the tree, with free choice minerals. I started giving probiotic powder about 5 days ago to try and get their tummies settled down. Two days ago I thought we had turned the corner because there were very few clumps in the barn or in the yard.

But yesterday, the one boy who hadn't been having issues with clumpy poo starting having larger clumps like looked more like dog poo. By the end of the day the clumps were very soft. Not exactly watery like diarrhea, but not firm at all. Took temps yesterday and they all ranged between 101.3 and 101.9 which I think is ok?

Looking for advice on what I should be doing to help my boy feel better - I'm getting worried!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Get a fecal done to include coccidia.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Fecal test. Do you know what wormer the vet gave them?

Keep giving probios, check their FAMACHA scores.

The temps are a little on the low side - I would give each goat 4oz of dark Guinness beer, but make sure it is room temperature and let it sit out to flatten.

Sara S likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Sara S

Sara S New Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Newton, IA
    Sorry I didn't see your post until today! The soft poo cleared up and everything has been normal for the past couple weeks, thank goodness. The babies have been eating a lot of hay and getting round. Will they eat too much hay? Today was a little chilly and they were at the hay feeder a lot, then went into their barn and laid down much earlier than normal (usually they wait until dusk). I don't know if they ate too much or if they were cold? And speaking of cold, I'm not sure when to switch from pine shavings to straw for bedding and at what temps I should completely close up the barn instead of leaving the top door open for fresh air? Any advice would be much appreciated for this newbie!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hi..I give my goats free choice hay. They.need it. Mine only get straw when they are in delivery.of kids. They have houses that they go to. But unless.its snowing,or freezing rain..mine dont really use the straw.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California