soft stools on 2 of my goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 4kids, Jan 29, 2010.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The last few days two of my goats have clumpy berries. I just assumed it was because we had run out of the blackoil sunflower seed/alfalfa pellets/challenger mix we usually feed.(I am not usually so unorganized- chalk it up to losing Jasmine!) My husband had just picked up a bag of challenger and I fed it straight without all the other goodies mixed in. This morning I noticed Wildflowers berries were some berries and some mush. I gave some probois mixed in with the feed to everyone. Everyone is acting normal, eating, drinking, ect... One of the goats was wormer with ivomectin about a week ago. No signs of worms, eye lids look good ect....

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wait till you get their feed back to normal before you panic. See that does the trick.

Also as my goats get closer to kidding clumpy berries or berries then soft stools are not uncommon. Even after kidding this sometimes happeneds

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Okay- will keep an eye on it. thanks Stacey!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree...with diet change or...when they eat to much of one thing...can cause clumping.... give it a few days... :wink: :greengrin:

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Jen how are they now?

6. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    some berries some clumps but no more mush. Everyone is acting fine but Agustus but for other reasons so I think it is okay!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok

but if it doesnt clear up I would consider the possibility of worms being an issue (sometimes stress from loosing a herd member can do that to them) Check their lower eyelids to see how pink they are

8. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    She was just wormed right after kidding with Ivomectin. I will go out and look at her eyelids. Should I use more?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when you worm its a good practice to worm 7-10 days later as well to catch the hatching eggs :)

10. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Okay- maybe I will do another round just to be safe. She went while I was in with her kids and of course i am all over there looking- just berries! Another question, My kids are 3 weeks old tomorrow and 1.5 weeks. I think I need to give some thing as a preventative for coccidia (sp?) What should I do?

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    some people do corrid and some do dimethox - it is up to you which you would prefer to use. I usually start mine at 3 weeks of age on cocci preventative.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Some people give stuff to prevent cocci, but I don't really believe in it, I just treat when there is an issue. With you only haveing 3 kids and it being so cold I wouldn't worry about cocci.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I agree.

If you do "preventative" with corid or albon then its the same as treatment not sure if thats the same with Dimethox