Soft stools on BOSS?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Realfoodmama, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    So I added some BOSS to my girl's grain and I've noticed it seems to have made her stools really soft. She doesn't seem bloaty in the least, just soft poops.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how much did you add to her grain amount?

3. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    About a tablespoon per pound..she gets about 3 pounds per milking...so all totalled I would say she has had between 1/4 and 1/3 cup in the last 24 hours.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you feed your goat 3lbs of feed? thats a lot of grain

I cant see that much boss causing any issues

5. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Yeah I give her that much. She is producing about a gallon a day for her twins and is underweight due to an injury during pregnancy so I am trying to keep her from dropping anymore.

She also gets alfalfa/grass hay and browse...she is basically an eating machine atm but I try to keep an eye on her stools because I agree...it is a lot of grain. I may back off on the BOSS and see if they normalize.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    It may take a few days for her to get used to the BOSS. If you have any probios you could give her some of that to give her normal flora a boost.

3 lbs is a reasonable amount of grain to give to a goat producing a gallon of milk a day even without the injury, IMO...it takes a lot of calories to produce that much milk and some goat just need more grain.

7. Sounds like she is getting far to much food, not BOSS. You should cut back on the feed or feed a better feed so so much is not needed. Remember in the wild there is not feed so an over kill on that can be quite a thing for her to deal with.

8. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I also mix a little beetpulp in with the daily grain ration - for the doe that just has a trouble maintaining her weight because she's putting it all in the pail. It's supposed to be high in calories and helps her replenish that layer of fat.

9. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    So I backed way off on the BOSS and she is back to normal! I give her a tiny nibble in the am to get her to follow me back to pasture, but no more than about a palm full.

I will try the beet pulp, but I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas about weight gain?

She definitely isn't losing, and she is producing a lot of milk, but every time I look at her she makes me sad. Especially compared to my Nubian, who is a solid girl.

Are Saanens/Sables skinny goats in general? I just want to put some meat on this girls bones!

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some does just put all the feed you give them into the milk pail.

11. The only thing I can think of is you must have a very high selenium level in your ground. Some areas do and do not need BOSS. In which case you may want to get a soil check done to make sure this is not the case with your farm. Just a thought.

12. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Yeah I thought about that...Apparently New Mexico is one of those areas where Selenium tends to be high. I have a soil test kit but it doesn't have a check for selenium so I haven't done it yet.

I will see if I can find a kit that tests for it at the greenhouse on Monday. They don't get a whole lot of browse, mostly because I only have 1/2 acre and much of that is dedicate to fruit trees and gardens...which they can't have :D

13. You can normally take it to a collage or school and they will do it as a learning thing for free. Just a thought.