The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure all three are deficient in copper. I don't have any baseline as far as their mineral status is. The base of the doe's coat is pale, and she has a SLIGHT fish tail, barely at all. I am interested in finding my soil content and water to know if this is impacting their vitamin absorption. Where should I go for testing?

·
14,615 Posts
You can try your local extension office. Also you might want to have your water tested if it is from a well; high iron binds up copper.
We've never had soil testing done but I understand they take samples from all over your property.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did some research this morning. Our extension office has ceased doing soil samples for the public. I can take it to Fort Collins in Colorado and have it tested. I figure it is better to start with testing the soil in regards to the goats, because we also are trying to establish our garden, and some things aren't growing so hot.

We are ridiculously high in iron or something metallic here. My husband reminded me of that this morning. When we drag the ground for nails, we have black metallic shavings stuck all over our magnet. Don't know if this plays into it or not.

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
If your ground is high in iron, that would affect the copper in your goats greatly. You would have to copper bolus more frequently. It will be good once you get the testing done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts