Sold a kid...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KW Farms, Aug 17, 2010.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Sold an 8 week old buckling. Big, healthy, strong, was easily weaned. Now a few days later the new owner says he is weak and has goopy eyes. She bought another one with him and he is fine. I'm going to see if she can't get a temp on him. He received CDT and BoSe a couple weeks before weaning...i'd have to check the exact dates he received these. I gave them a bit of power punch to help with the stress of rehoming. Then they said they gave him some milk replacer which I said do not give him anymore...he's weaned. So how can they help him? Could it be cocci? Parasites? He was also dewormed a week and a half before leaving. So were most of my other kids and they are fine.

I'm at a loss. What is wrong? :?

2. carmen escamilla

carmen escamilla New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    EVen though he was weand he can be depress due to leaveing his home i had one do that to me u got to fiqure the home he left was the only home he knew he is a baby and dont know y he was taken away the only thing was that mine did not get over it i had to bring him back home again and then after a few days he was fine again he knows only who he grew up with so i try not to let go till 3 months or so ..so the answer is on u if u want to give him time to adjust or bring him home he is just a baby and dont know what is going on ...poor baby...

3. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I can definately understand that. He is plenty big enough for weaning even though it's a tad earlier than I usually weaned. He was eating very well on his own and doing great when he left. I am just worried the poor thing is going to go downhill and become very ill or die. They are very new to goats and live 4 hours away.

4. carmen escamilla

carmen escamilla New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    well if u see him go down hill i would go get him and see if he can stay with u until he get a little bigger like 3 mon or so maybe then he can adjusted to the fact it be a sham for him to die just because he felt lonley or heart broken they can get over it but they r some that just wont mine did after 4 mon he was ok to go hope things work out for u...

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well first off you need them to get a temp on him. If it is high or low he needs anitbiotics. If his eyes are goopy he may need some oxytetracyline squirted in them (no needle). Sometimes a wet teabag will do or some antibiotic ointment in the eye will do.

I would give him some nutri drench.

now you say he was weaned -- was he actually pulled from mom and separated from her before leaving or did you take him from mom the day he left?

if he isnt eating then some Milk of Magnesia (MOM) and some probiotics would be in order.

6. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Maybe it's me, but i would work with the new owners to get him fixed up, I don't think i'd take him back - what if he was exposed to something and you bring it back to your herd? (yes i am ultra-paranoid about bio-security, and I haven't sold any kids yet, so i can't specifically identify, but i have sold other animals, and I don't bring sick ones back to my house)

7. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks guys. I haven't heard back from them this morning. I asked if they could get a temp on him and said it would be best for a vet to take over at this point and that I was sorry I couldn't help any further. Gave your suggestions Stacey..thank you.

He was weaned for about 5 days with 3 other wethers. They were plenty old enough to wean, big, eating well, active, healthy, etc. They were off to a great start. One thing about these ones is that they weren't that friendly and the people had two little kids so i'm thinking they were overhandled when they first got home and with the heat in our area (around 103 yesterday) they probably stressed him out way to much. I guess I should have told them not to handle them for a couple days to adjust to the move, but I can't remember to tell everyone every little thing like that. These people are very new to goats and have no supplies, no nutri drench, none of that. I provided a bit of nutridrench and a care sheet, but I honestly don't think they did much research (care wise) before they came to pick them up.

PznIvyFarm: Yeah, once a kid has left, it's not coming back. That's my policy and i'm sticking with it. I would be WAY to concerned about it being exposed to something and coming back...so I just don't do it. I am working with the owners as best as I can at this point. I sure do hope this little wether will pull through though. I know they mean the best, but they know practically nothing concerning goats.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well hopefully they will have him seen by a vet. Chances are stress brought it on. We do our best but we cant guarantee how they will react in a new environment.

9. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Well i knew practically nothing about goats either (other farm animals, but we never had goats) but how much time does it take to read about basic care of an animal you are taking into your home? And I know from getting puppies that you don't overhandle them the first few days while they get used to you.

But that brings up a good idea - what do/would people put on a care sheet they are sending home with a goat? I will find myself in this situation in coming months, and would like to get something together for people. (I am even willing to put together a 'goat kit' like the puppy kit the vet hands out for serious newbies)

10. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    My care sheet includes, what the kid has received up to the last day on our farm (vaccinations, deworming, etc.), what we feed and what a good diet is, mineral info., cocci info., tattoo info., hoof trimming, shelter info., registering instructions, links to websites for even more care information, and links to a couple goat forums, one is to TGS. I wrote that it's an excellent place to ask questions. I am now considering writing on there something to the degree of give your new kid(s) a few days to adjust to their new home before doing much with them. I have on my website that all sales are final and once a goat has left my care we are no longer responsible...but I think i'll ad that to the care sheet as well.

Oh, and one thing I would recommend having on the care sheet: ____________ disclaims all liability in connection with the use of this information and offer no guarentees of its effectiveness. We are not vets and this information is not intended to replace professional advice.

Along with the "care sheet", I provide a little Nutridrench/Power Punch for each kid to give the day after they arive in their new home, and a photo pedigree (for bucks and does). So I feel like i've given the kids a pretty good start and done all I can to prepare them for a happy, healthy life. I just started the care sheet this year so i'm hoping it pays off in the end...it took awhile to write it all up on the computer.

Hope that helps PznIvyFarm! ;)

11. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I just got an update that the little wether is alive and doing very well today...almost back to normal! Thank goodness! I told them to give him a couple days to fully recover. I do believe that stress brought all this about. Very glad that he is ok today though.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great news Kylee :hug:

I've learned thru the years that even with detailed instructions, some new owners just don't grasp the concept, regardless of how helpful we are. Glad to hear that he is doing better and at least the new owner was thoughtful enough to contact you :hug: