The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
We have run across something that to us seems very strange. Our doe kidded on Sunday, and a few hours after kidding, when I went to milk her out to get the colostrum (we bottle feed), I noticed that when I squeezed the teat, I could fee small round-ish lumps in the teat and udder. I would get a few squirts of colostrum, then the teat would become "clogged" so to speak by one of these lumps. Now, when they were in the teat, they felt roundish, but when I squeezed the teat, I could feel that they were somewhat malleable. I was worried that they would block the colostrum from coming out, but I discovered on the first lump that if I gently applied steady pressure, the solid actually squeezed out the end of her teat through the orifice in a long, rice shape. In one side of the udder, I got out at least 8 of these solids, and on the other side maybe 10. I know that during pregnancy they have a wax plug to keep things from gettting into the teat and udder, but these masses were actually in the udder, until I milked them down through the teat and out the orifice. They had no odor and were white in color. Once expelled from the teat, I can squeeze them in my fingers and they break down and smear (sorry, this is sounding grosser than I intended). My mentor told me to keep milking and emptying the udder, but that it was probably nothing to worry about. So I went back out and milked her about 4 hours later, and this time there were only a few on one side of the udder, and 1 on the other side. I have always been really paranoid of mastitis since we started milking our girls because I have heard of the horror stories. So I did both the Dr. Naylor test strips, as well as the California Mastitis test (even though it says not to do it within 3 days of kidding/calving), and both tests came back negative. Her udder doesn't feel hot and she doesn't seem to have any pain when I milk her. I'm just curious, has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what ARE these things? Thanks in advance for any feedback!
P.S. In one of the pictures it shows the solid coming out as I was squeezing the teat, and in the other two what they looked like once out, and then after I squished one with my finger.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How thick was the colostrum that you got before you had the other?
Hi Sgfwife,
Thanks for the reply. The colostrum that came out at first, as well as in between the clumps of stuff, was "normal" colostrum-consistency of half and half or heavy cream with a nice and pale golden color. The clumps were only on the first 3 milkings after she kidded. Last night's milking, as well as both milkings today, were lump-free and have mostly transitioned to milk. We also had two does kid the week before and there wasn't anything out of the norm with their colostrum or milk, knock on wood. It's so odd to me, because I know what the wax plug is but these were actually inside the udder and teat and let down when I milked her and squeezed them out. Weird!

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Hi Sgfwife,
Thanks for the reply. The colostrum that came out at first, as well as in between the clumps of stuff, was "normal" colostrum-consistency of half and half or heavy cream with a nice and pale golden color. The clumps were only on the first 3 milkings after she kidded. Last night's milking, as well as both milkings today, were lump-free and have mostly transitioned to milk. We also had two does kid the week before and there wasn't anything out of the norm with their colostrum or milk, knock on wood. It's so odd to me, because I know what the wax plug is but these were actually inside the udder and teat and let down when I milked her and squeezed them out. Weird!
I am NOT sayin this is what it was but my idea..... it was just thick thick colostrum possibly. Again i do not know that is what it was but that was what my brain cell wondered.

·
I'm watching you
22,265 Posts
Yep that's what happens, the colostrum turns to glue. If you're going to pull kids at birth you need to milk her at least halfway out as soon as she's up. Luckily, for this milking, most does will just stand in the stall because of their hormone levels.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Welcome! I think it was very wise of you to do the mastitis tests. Mastitis is the first thing that comes into my mind when reading your thread. But with negative results, and with a positive progress, and you anyhow in the habit of emptying udders thoroughly, I feel it is nothing to worry about. Yes, any milk can clump in the udder, especially when the dry substance is high.

Again, welcome, hope you will both have joy from, and share your goat joys to this forum!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I had that happen with a doe last year. She'd kidded the year before without it, and kidded this year without it, so I guess it's not a thing that will necessarily repeat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the words of support. Yeah, mastitis is always a worry for me, just because I have read too much online about people losing does to it. Scary stuff. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to Binky (doe in the top left of my profile picture). But, thank goodness, she still seems to be getting back to her normal, ornery, pre-pregnancy self. We milk our girls out all the way twice a day and aside from those first 3 milkings, we haven't had any more of the lumps. Also, and I forgot to mention. When she kidded last year, her lactation was normal with no weird lump thingies. I am baffled. But thank you to everyone for your insights, thoughts, and own experiences. Please, keep any ideas as to what these could be coming! We appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts