The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[rant]
I know, I know, we've seen a few rants in the past few weeks.

But what is it with folks who insist on keeping a single goat? I don't see that here, obviously, but at other forums. Seriously, did these people not do a single ounce of research? Did they not figure out that goats are HERD animals and need to be part of a herd? It is like they didn't even bother with a quick google search, you know, to learn some basic goat care 101 that would take a minute to read.

Nope, they get one, not a pair. And then they're all confused as to why their goat is now screaming and stressed out. Want a solution? Get another goat! But then some folks say "oh no, I can only have one" and then ask if a duck, or chicken, or dog would be an acceptable companion...NO! A thousand times NO! Then I feel like this:

I'm also mad at the breeders who would sell a single goat to a new owner with no other goats. I asked SO many questions when I sold my first goat, to ensure he was going to a responsible new owner.

I keep my cool, honestly, when I try to provide information to these folks. For the goat's sake, I want them to provide what the goat needs. But you can't force people to do what it is right. You can only hope that they listen to you and others who are telling them the same thing: that goats need the companionship or another goat or similar animal (like a sheep, despite the dietary differences).

It seems you can give them as many links to good information as possible, refer them to books on the subject matter. But THEY NO LISTEN!

[/rant]

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I hear ya ! What i dont understand is what's so hard in keeping two ?
Its not like two are going to put you in the poor house , IMO.
If you cant afford two , you probably shouldnt have one !
There are many reasons why its just not a good idea to have only one...
Just saying...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I give people benefit of doubts that they have their reasons for keeping only one goat. I also know of some single goat families that work for them. Some people keep one horse and horse are herd animals too. As for asking if a dog or chicken can be companions to the goat...at least the owner is trying. Ultimately they may either get another goat or get rid of the goat. Someday I may just end up with one goat if one by one they die in old age.

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
I've had only one goat many times thru out my life. There were no issues. I've always spent a lot of time with my animals but only once when I got an adult goat that lived in a herd did I have any issues with blatting. 2 may be ideal but I don't think its a necessity if the owner spends quality time with their animals. Jmo. I do know when I get to the selling point I will point out that they are herd animals and 2 is better than 1 and why but I don't know that it would be a selling deal breaker. Depends on the buyer.

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
It's not that big of a deal to me. I have a family friend that has had a single goat for years and it has worked out just fine! The goat is happy and healthy. He doesn't even clip the goats hooves, he set out rocks and roofing for the goat to climb on and the goats hooves look marvelous. It's not a deal breaker with a sell either. I tell them that they are better in pairs, but it's up to them.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
There are people with one goat and they take the best care of them.
But for people just starting out with goats , I think its best to educate them on the pros of having multiple goats :)
There are soooooo many pros there just isnt enough time in the day to list them all :):):)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I dont like this rant. Im gunna tell you why.
Single goat mean PETS.
Pets means tons of love.
They will adapt. Iv seen.and heard about it a thousand times.
Id sell a single goat as long as the persion realizes that its gunna take a few weeks of the goat crying before it adapts.
Horses are saposed to be together too. But ellie my one horses mom died 11/11/11 (broke both our hearts) and ever since then shes been alone. Guess who her friends are? My goats. She was alone for a while untill we got goats. When the goats are pened she will put her head in the pen (if possible) and talk to them. She flips if we take the goats from her. She accidentally hurt one the other day (not bad) and you could see how bad she felt from body language and in her eyes.
So yes another smaller animal can be a mate to the goat. Atleast thei trying. A goat dosent need a goat. Just like a horse dosent need a horse.

show goat/lamb equipment
www.Facebook.com/wickedshowchains

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I can see your points and I also can agree with them.
But when I think of taking a baby goat on its own and listening to their heartbreaking cries just kills me. I wouldnt want to do that to any of mine. Just saying.

·
2,203 Posts
It bothers me too but we can't do anything but educate. The boss has a single Pygmy wether with horns and excuse me but he is an butt head. He attacks people and rams cars. My worst pet peeve is the cows come in to be milked (tie stall) and when we feed them he picks a lady and full blown jumps and butts her in the head. Out of boredom and orneriness. They taught him that playing with humans was ok. *sigh* It's "cute".

I steer clear of "Buster". He's mean.

But what can we do?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I dont like this rant. Im gunna tell you why.
Single goat mean PETS.
Pets means tons of love.
They will adapt. Iv seen.and heard about it a thousand times.
Id sell a single goat as long as the persion realizes that its gunna take a few weeks of the goat crying before it adapts.
Horses are saposed to be together too. But ellie my one horses mom died 11/11/11 (broke both our hearts) and ever since then shes been alone. Guess who her friends are? My goats. She was alone for a while untill we got goats. When the goats are pened she will put her head in the pen (if possible) and talk to them. She flips if we take the goats from her. She accidentally hurt one the other day (not bad) and you could see how bad she felt from body language and in her eyes.
So yes another smaller animal can be a mate to the goat. Atleast thei trying. A goat dosent need a goat. Just like a horse dosent need a horse.

show goat/lamb equipment
If only one goat did mean PET all the time. Sadly it doesn't. Sure, there are people with solo goats and those animals are perfectly happy. There are other people who aren't interested in having a single goat for a pet. They want one to eat weeds. They think all you have to do is get yourself a goat, any goat, usually the cheaper the better; throw it out in the back and it'll clear the weeds. Then they gripe because the goat is noisy. Then they claim they had no idea the animal would eat their rosebushes first and the weeds last. Then they're calling people who know and care for goats when the goat gets sick or they decide they don't want it. Before long, you've got an animal that is people shy, poorly nourished and probably sick being bounced to yet another owner.
I get calls from people wanting to buy goats to eat their weeds. I tell them "I sell dairy goats, Home Depot sells weed eaters."
I like this rant just fine.

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
If only one goat did mean PET all the time. Sadly it doesn't. Sure, there are people with solo goats and those animals are perfectly happy. There are other people who aren't interested in having a single goat for a pet. They want one to eat weeds. They think all you have to do is get yourself a goat, any goat, usually the cheaper the better; throw it out in the back and it'll clear the weeds. Then they gripe because the goat is noisy. Then they claim they had no idea the animal would eat their rosebushes first and the weeds last. Then they're calling people who know and care for goats when the goat gets sick or they decide they don't want it. Before long, you've got an animal that is people shy, poorly nourished and probably sick being bounced to yet another owner.
I get calls from people wanting to buy goats to eat their weeds. I tell them "I sell dairy goats, Home Depot sells weed eaters."
I like this rant just fine.
Couldn't agree more. It's all circumstantial!

·
Registered
635 Posts
They never said for weed eating so I figured pet

show goat/lamb equipment
Weed eating was just one example. In much the same way that people get a dog because they think they want a dog, then throw it out in the back yard and pay no attention to it and then wonder why it barks, the same thing happens to goats all the time.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My Peggy Sue was bought as a single goat and has been our only goat on several occasions in the course of her life. If I ever moved back to the city I would sell the rest of my herd but keep Peggy Sue, as she could very well live in an apartment.

She is a pygmy, and tiny, so when she has no goaty companions she just spends all her time in the house with me. I think if you are going to have a single you must spend a lot of time with the goat or have a proven goat companion animal, as goats are very social creatures. I do think they can compensate with non-goaty friends. :)

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
I'm sorry, but I feel EXTREMELY offended by this. I only have one goat, but I got her as a baby. She grew up in MY house with humans with NO other goats and she turned JUST FINE! There are goats out there that don't HAVE to have a companion. Another reason she can't have a friend is that she MIGHT have CL. I'm sorry but I can't take a chance of infecting another goat. I'm stressed out enough with her just as it is. And getting another goat that already has CL is NOT an option. Her barn is not big enough for another goat. My Uncle built it with his bare hands and thought it was big enough for two but turns out it isn't. Miracle did have a friend for a while but her friend, Abby, got CL. That's where all of my problems with CL and my family started. I'm sorry but, I'm pretty damn proud of the goat I have. She is so much better off with her in my care than my Uncle's. So what she got an infectious disease? So what she doesn't have a friend? At least she gets fresh clean water, grain, and hay everyday. She has toys she can play with and we give her plenty of attention. I'm really friggin' sick and tired of people lecturing me about getting my goat a friend. She is MY goat and I know what is best for MY goat, just like all of you know whats best for your goats. I think i need to take a breather before ny head explodes...

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sorry you feel offended. It is easy for us to anthropomorphize goats, making them seem human. But they're not, and they have different needs than us. It is in the best interest of a goat or other herd animal to be a part of a herd. To keep a goat alone just seems irresponsible, in my opinion.

Remember, we are all entitled to different opinions.

·
1,524 Posts
I don't have a problem with single goats either. Horses, sheep and cattle are herd animals and do well alone. I have a doe who would love to be an "only child" as she hates other goats. Dogs are pack animals are are fine alone. Its all in how you manage it. Yes, they scream, neight, blat ect for a few days until they get used to being alone. They do the same when they are weaned.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
I don't have ACCESS to another goat! For space reasons and for disease reasons! It's not like I neglect her at all. It's not a NEED for her to have another goat. I don't know, I guess i just feel like people don't understand WHY I keep only one goat. I guess I just felt like this was directed toward me. Or maybe I took it too personal, which I tend to do.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Dont because its not , if it was it wouldnt have gotten one post , at least from any of us that know you Kayla :hug:
I stated there are exceptions and people do have one goat and they live happy lives with the best care.
IMO , this thread is directed more at people who buy goats singly with other intention then just a pet. Most buy two , some may buy one for a companion animal that the goat will live with .
Your situation cannot be compared to anything remotely related to this thread.
Kayla you take wonderful care of Miracle and dont let anybody tell you any different ! ;)

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Thanks Laura. I think I just needed a moment to calm down. I am easily offended and just felt like I was the only person on here that only owns one goat so that's why I took it personal. I'm sorry if I offended anyone or made you feel bad. I took it the wrong way and just needed a moment to take a breath. On that note, I am going to bed. I have work in the morning.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts