The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first two are full sisters & many kiddings later the double orifices have not been repeated.:cheers:

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Great pics! Nice to see actual pics rather than the drawings on the ABGA site. I have a doeling that has really nice 2 x 2 teats, all four are about the same length and I think will be functional. I'll try to get some pics tonight when she is eating her grain.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Cool! I really should go out and get pictures of my Boer doe's huge fishtail teats, because I think they are interesting to see as well. 2:2 (functional) seems to be developing into the "ideal" structure for Boer ranchers now. We have a doe with 4 functional teats and I am sure the will be useful if she ever has triplets.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
My doe has 1x1 (clean, I think) teats. I hope to keep all my Boers that way, LOL. Coming from dairy, anything else just bugs me! :p

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I think mine may look like the non dq split pic when she bags up. She has that little nub teat almost growing off of one. My other doe is 2:2, she looks good :)

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sydney I hear you, when I first saw 4 teats I was just flabbergasted. But Ive come to appreciate & actually prefer them; more room at the table for multiples.
Next buck is going to have 4.:)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
So if I'm guessing correctly teats in goats are like breasts in humans? Every goat has them, just male or female determines if they are functional?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Multiple teats just gross me out. Lol. Dairy goats with 2 teats nurse multiples just fine ;) :p

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I almost wish they allowed extra teats in dairy goats ... I bet that comes in handy with triplets and quads. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Do dairy goats lactate all the time? I've heard of meat goat owners have a dairy goat in the herd incase a baby is abandoned or mom dies, etc. does this sound right?

·
2,203 Posts
Do dairy goats lactate all the time? I've heard of meat goat owners have a dairy goat in the herd incase a baby is abandoned or mom dies, etc. does this sound right?
No they do not lactate all the time. They have a higher production, and usually stay in production longer (we bred this into them). Typically I'd say 90% of Boer breeders keep a Saanen or two around and kid her in yearly. Plus, Saanen x Boer have an excellent carcass with good milk quality as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts