The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum,
I'm asking for some suggestions on products to have in my goat medicine cabinet, especially dewormers. I got my goats in the fall and I've never officially dewormed them yet. But now that it is getting warmer and more humid, I'm searching for dewormers, medicines, etc. to have on hand.

I have looked into Land Of Havilah natural dewormer. Does anyone use this? It seems great and healthy for the goat.

I know there is also a bunch of chemical dewormers too. What are your favorite? I know some aren't effective in certain areas. (I live in southcentral Pa so if anyone knows specifically which ones would be good/ not good in my area, that'd be great).

For CD/T vaccines, from what I understand you should have an epi-pen handy. Does this have to come from a vet.

Any other must-have medications/antibiotics/etc.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
I use LOH parasite formula. It's been working great for me here in Central Texas. With herbal its important to have the time to do a good running start of 3-5 days then weekly. Some find it needed during peek worm season to do 2 to 3 times a week. I add quality essential oil blend once a week during our hot humid months to support the herbal. Been doing this way for several years with great success.

Chemical dewormers will depend in what's effective in your area. I will state to avoid any pour on used orally. Injectable used orally is ok as long as the goat is not heavy burdened or anemic. Meds made for oral are fine to give as such.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use LOH parasite formula. It's been working great for me here in Central Texas. With herbal its important to have the time to do a good running start of 3-5 days then weekly. Some find it needed during peek worm season to do 2 to 3 times a week. I add quality essential oil blend once a week during our hot humid months to support the herbal. Been doing this way for several years with great success.
How do you administer the LOH? I think some people put it in grain, and I feed my goat grain, but I'm trying to switch them to just hay so how would I administer it then?

How would estimate a 16 oz bag of LOH would last for 2 goats?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
How do you administer the LOH? I think some people put it in grain, and I feed my goat grain, but I'm trying to switch them to just hay so how would I administer it then?

How would estimate a 16 oz bag of LOH would last for 2 goats?
I make a tea for mine..but you can add their individual dose in enough water to drench or some make a dosing ball mixing a dose with peanut butter or molasses. LoH has a page on how to do this. I don't like the idea of top dressing feed as you can't be sure they got the whole dose.
For 2 goats this should last you many months. Average dose for a large goat is 1/2-1 teaspoon

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The choice of chemical dewormers should be based on which worm(s) are showing a heavy load count on the fecal examination. Each of the above mention products target specific species of parasites. Some may also be used in combination with the other. No, it is not important to have all those products on hand, though, it is important to choose the correct dewormer for the parasite(s) currently present.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I make a tea for mine..but you can add their individual dose in enough water to drench or some make a dosing ball mixing a dose with peanut butter or molasses. LoH has a page on how to do this. I don't like the idea of top dressing feed as you can't be sure they got the whole dose.
For 2 goats this should last you many months. Average dose for a large goat is 1/2-1 teaspoon
I'm not sure that might goats will drink tea or be very fond of constant drenching, so I might have to get creative. I'm going to give LOH a shot though! Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The choice of chemical dewormers should be based on which worm(s) are showing a heavy load count on the fecal examination. Each of the above mention products target specific species of parasites. Some may also be used in combination with the other. No, it is not important to have all those products on hand, though, it is important to choose the correct dewormer for the parasite(s) currently present.
I'm glad I don't have to have those all on hand because that would probably be expensive. Are there a few that target more kinds of worms than others?

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
I use a drenching syringe to dose the tea..but with only 2 goats..I would either mix the proper amount with about 20 to 30 cc of distilled water or make a dose ball.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why don't you have a fecal count done? A lot of people here use Meadow Mist . MeadowMist Lab Service ~ Home
Some do their own. That way you will have a target for your worming and will be able to tell if you are doing any good.
I currently do not have any worm problems, I'm just trying to get a goat medicine kit together so that if I have worm problems, I can get a fecal done, get the results, and have what I need to treat.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Once you purchase the Land of Havilah herbs, you will get the link to the “course” on how to administer it. It is very detailed and gives you ideas for different options. My goats love the herb balls. I make them with 1 tb spoon of ground flax, the herbs and molasses. You can also use mashed banana, grated apple, apple sauce, honey...
I didn’t have chemical dewormer in my medicine cabinet for the first 2 years, since I never had a problem.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've decided on LOH as my first dewormer and see how it goes!

What about any other shots I should have on hand, or antibiotics? I've heard about LA-200 as a good antibiotic.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
It is always good to have injectable B complex on hand, as well as probiotic paste, and dark beer, so you don’t have to go looking for them when a goat is “off”. A rectal thermometer and lube to take their temperature is also hihly recommended.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
I use LOH and I make tea mostly. I've made it and drenched. I've made it and put it in their water in between dosing (if we've had a lot of rain). I've made herbal dosage balls ad added garlic cloves to them. Not all mine like them, most do. I've made a PB sandwich and cut it into squares, adding their dose to the PB on their square, sometimes adding garlic cloves. I have also taken fig newtons and cut in half, open like a sandwich and have done the same as the PB sandwich. Some of my goats are picky on treats, so drenching tends to be easier. Just depends on what I feel like doing that week. I have found top dressing doesn't work as well as said above. Even when eating all their grain, I find some in the bottom of the bowl. However, I have in the past sprayed their food with ACV and then top dressed and sprayed again and mixed. That helped keep it from being missed. Or a touch of molasses on their feed and mix the herbs with that to stick.

LA-200 and Penicillin-G are good antibiotics to have on hand. There are others but those are what I keep. I also like VetRX from TSC. It's not an antibiotic but it helps with respiratory issues in aiding healing and relief.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is always good to have injectable B complex on hand, as well as probiotic paste, and dark beer, so you don’t have to go looking for them when a goat is “off”. A rectal thermometer and lube to take their temperature is also hihly recommended.
Is the injectable B complex, probiotic paste, and dark beer something you can get at TSC?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts