The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I would feel more comfortable with one... but not that you mentioned the price... Are there certain shots that are more likely to cause anaphylactic/ adverse reactions than others?

Registered
I would feel more comfortable with one... but not that you mentioned the price... Are there certain shots that are more likely to cause anaphylactic/ adverse reactions than others?
Speaking just about the CDT vaccine, I have GoatVac brand on hand, the warning is on the bottle. I also have Tetanus Antitoxin vaccine, Colorado Serum brand on hand, the warning is on the bottle. As for other shots, I don't know if the warning is on the bottle for those or not.

In people medicine, there is a warning for adverse reaction, anaphylactoid included, for nearly every injection, prescription medication and/or infusion given. Unfortunately, the only way to know if an adverse reaction or anaphylactic shock will happen, is when, and if, an adverse reaction happens the first time the medication is given. There is no real way to know if an allergic, adverse or anaphylactic reaction will happen until it does.

From my own personal experience, I have been monitored for 20-30 minutes after receiving a new type of vaccine for the first time in case a reaction occurs. I also monitor my animals for 20-30 minutes when they have been given a new vaccine to watch for any adverse reaction with them.

I know this information is not giving you the peace of mind or a guaranteed solution to avoid the likelihood of a reaction never happening. I will tell you this, tetanus is a horrible disease. There is no cure for it once it is contracted and unless you put an animal down, it is a slow and extremely painful death. Mortality rate for tetanus in goats is over 80%.

Registered
Did an online search, looked at the labels of all the different brands of CD&T vaccine, each and every one has the warning about anaphylactoid reaction. A thought came to mind earlier this morning, if your goats have been wethered, there is a good likelihood they have received a CD&T vaccine(s) in the past. Maybe asking the owner(s) whom you got your goats from whether the vaccine and/or follow up booster was given before, what ever method was used, the goats were castrated could answer the question if a reaction of any type occurred.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Unfortunately, the only way to know if an adverse reaction or anaphylactic shock will happen, is when, and if, an adverse reaction happens the first time the medication is given. There is no real way to know if an allergic, adverse or anaphylactic reaction will happen until it does.
My goats have received CDT vaccinations before, not from me. If they didn't have a reaction then, they won't have one anymore from CDT vaccines?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Did an online search, looked at the labels of all the different brands of CD&T vaccine, each and every one has the warning about anaphylactoid reaction. A thought came to mind earlier this morning, if your goats have been wethered, there is a good likelihood they have received a CD&T vaccine(s) in the past. Maybe asking the owner(s) whom you got your goats from whether the vaccine and/or follow up booster was given before, what ever method was used, the goats were castrated could answer the question if a reaction of any type occurred.
My goats are actually not castrated. I've been looking into it... I wanted a vet to come give them their first shots, so I could watch and learn, but I can't find a vet that I like to do it.

Registered
My goats have received CDT vaccinations before, not from me. If they didn't have a reaction then, they won't have one anymore from CDT vaccines?
Not necessarily, but highly unlikely. An anaphylactoid reaction means: adverse reactions could worsen with repeated use if there is a sensitivity to any of the ingredients when given for the first time. Anaphylactic shock is the most extreme presentation of an allergic reaction and only happens rarely the large majority of the time. Usually, if there is a known adverse reaction, premedication before hand is required to lessen the effects of a reaction. For unknown responses to a substance, close observation for signs of a negative reaction for 20-30 minutes would be wise. Depending on the severity, medication is given to counteract (calm down) the allergic response. Antihistamines (Benadryl) for mild reactions, steroid for medium reactions (prescription only) and anaphylactic shock requires immediate professional care and treatment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm torn! Do I have the vet give all the shots, or do I risk it, I do not know! Both Sandra and Karen, you two have been a great help, thank you!

Registered
I do my shots it's not that hard if you have someone to help.... If your uncomfortable have the vet show you how the first time

Registered
I had a goat have anaphylactic shock to an iron shot. I always had a shot of epinephrine in hand, and so thankful I did. That was the first and only time in 16 years. Any shot as mentioned can cause reaction. Benadryl is a good thing to keep on hand if no epi. However needs a large dose of 20-30 cc and more on hand in case needed on the ready! Keep it in hand or super close. If Anaphylactic shock happens, Keep the animal calm as you can to help get through it. It can be scary. But staying calm is important. Some times it's very mild..other times not so mild. Know the signs. Some vets will sell you a few ccs of epinephrine to keep on hand. An epi pen may be too much for a goat based on weight. Epi is 1 cc per 100 pounds. You don't want to over give. My goat was about 60 pounds at the time and I gave her 1/2 cc IM and it worked fast. Knowledge is power. Learn the signs..understand what to do..and be ready. You will be fine!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts