The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
If they did perfectly fine before, they should be okay with being vaccinated again.

My own experiences with adverse reactions laid bare. I am very chemical sensitive to multiple products. Meloxicam, a common anti inflammatory prescription drug. Dose was twice a day, Friday no problem, Saturday night itchiness, Sunday morning a rash covering my entire body, Sunday afternoon mild chest congestion and an occasional cough, very late Sunday night labored breathing, chest tightness, persistent coughing and wheezing (like an asthma attack and I don't have asthma), Monday morning an emergency visit to primary care where a nebulizer treatment, steroid injection and 5 days of oral steroid twice a day being the treatment. This is a classic anaphylactoid reaction.

Penicillin causes anaphylactic shock for me. Throat swells shut, airway becomes inflamed and being able to breath becomes increasingly difficult to impossible. The reaction began to happen within minutes. This treatment consisted of adrenaline injections, oxygen therapy, an airway being put in place, other things I don't remember because I lost consciousness, and an over night hospital stay. This is a classic anaphylactic shock reaction.

I completely understand your anxiousness. I saw the warning on the bottle of CD&T, since I've been there and done that, I gave 2 of my boys their 1st CD&T vaccine shaking all over from dread and fear. I had a full bottle of benadryl liquid and a drenching syringe on hand in case it was needed. Those 2 had to have their 1st shot and booster before the vet would surgically castrate them. Another wether had to have his booster after being vaccinated the first time before being banded by the previous owner. He was easier on my nerves because it wasn't his first time receiving a CD&T vaccination. The goats had no bad reaction at all to the vaccine and took receiving them better than I took giving them their 1st one. For me, my courage and determination to overcome my own fears was strengthened by having knowledge of the severity of the symptoms and mortality rate of contracting tetanus

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Knowledge is indeed power. I try to learn so much about goat diseases so that I can identify them readily and treat them...and make sure the vet does the right thing.

That brings me to another question, I don't want to start a whole new thread on because I have been doing that a lot lately. My goats have had watery eyes and eye boogers for quite some time now. They stand at the base of the hay feeder as I dump hay in, so I figured it was just from getting hay dust in their eyes. If it were pink eye, I would have noticed by now, correct?

·
Registered
30,157 Posts
If drainage is clear and eye crusties are normal color..not gooey green or yellow..then most likely irritation from dust and such or allergies. Wipe them dry and keep watch for any changes. If you suspect allergies..Benadryl can help

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Goats can be infected with lyme disease. Symptoms are very similar to those of humans and other animal species. There are antibiotic treatment options available to help cure it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Goats can be infected with lyme disease. Symptoms are very similar to those of humans and other animal species. There are antibiotic treatment options available to help cure it.
Oh no! Is it as serious as it is in humans? Are they prone to it? I'm in an area where lyme disease is everywhere!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I don't know if the disease is as serious as seen in humans. Though when detected early the course is less severe no matter the host form. A goat is no more prone to lyme disease than any of the other mammals which can be infected by a disease carrying tick bite. Read up on lyme disease in goats to learn the symptoms, treatment options, etc., if it would help to understand the courses of the disease. There was a recent thread about ticks on goats, that offered information on tick repellent/killing type products used for goats.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I don't know if the disease is as serious as seen in humans. Though when detected early the course is less severe no matter the host form. A goat is no more prone to lyme disease than any of the other mammals which can be infected by a disease carrying tick bite. Read up on lyme disease in goats to learn the symptoms, treatment options, etc., if it would help to understand the courses of the disease. There was a recent thread about ticks on goats, that offered information on tick repellent/killing type products used for goats.
Do you happen to remember what the title of that thread was so I can search for it?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts