The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. My family and I are looking to buy a milk goat or two. I've been doing some reading and such on breeds, but I want to get some more advice.

We are moving out to a piece of land and will be largely self-sufficient. This means that our goats will also need to be largely self-sustaining when it comes to food. If we are looking to have a milk goat, how much do we need to supplement her with other feed besides browse? Any particular breeds do better in this situation than others? We'll be on a large piece of land, so I'm not too worried about there being a shortage. Also, we'll be feeding vegetable scraps, etc.

I've read that goats get lonely if they are alone, but then I've read that it's not a big deal. Some thoughts on this? We're trying to decide whether or not to go ahead and get two goats or just start out with one and grow from there.

Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
You really should have at least 2 goats. They are herd animals and most goats want to be with a buddy.

Everything really depends on how much milk you want. A goat or even a cow on just pasture will not give as much milk as a goat or cow who also gets grain. You will have to monitor things and see how it goes. Until you know what is in your pasture, it is really hard to say how well they will do. Does it snow where you are? Some areas don't have grazing in the winter due to snow.

An example is an Alpine/Nubian doe that I had. She needed 5.5 measuring cups of grain per milking (11 cups per day) of feed in addition to hay/browse. This was to get 3/4 gallon per day of milk and maintain condition. Every goat is different.

Probably a mix goat would be good for your situation. I'm thinking the mini breeds probably wouldn't be what you want.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Get two, and get them from a breeder who can show you negative CL and CAE test results on at least their mothers. Do NOT buy your goats at auction. In general, goats on mostly browse will produce milk that is "variable" in flavor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts