Some interesting AGS news

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Apr 6, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Received my "Voice of AGS" yesterday. here are some highlights:

- Pgymy Goat Registration "The AGS Board has approved the Breeds and Registrations Committee propoal sto temporarily accept NPGA registered Pygmy Goats for re registration into the AGS Pygmy herd books. " (if you would like more information on this - I can give you all the details given OR contact the AGS office)

- The AGS Board has developed a written position statement opposing NAIS. THis is found on page 9 of the Voice of AGS.

- All standard dairy breed registrations were up last year - for those of you breeding and showing standards AGS has cheeper registration costs. And the more registrations they get the more chances for shows .... just an idea for you to think about.

- there is a Genetics little excerpt about breeding Polled goats and if you will always get Polled and the chances of their kids being horned etc.

- list of already sanction shows through out the country.

Lots of exciting things are happening with AGS

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I saw that Stacey....great that they are allowing Pygmy registrations too...of course they do need to be NPGA registered first. :wink:

I thot the polled genetics chart was very informative...now I know why my polled doe hasn't had polled kids!

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I will have to check my mail again - it wasn't there when I got the mail early Friday morning - I hate having a PO Box

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    with AGS's stance against NAIS I figured some people might be interested in dual registration for their standards as well as pygmy - giving them an opportunity later on to be able to still show if ADGA gets to be difficult

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I haven't gotten the Dwarf Digest or Voice yet.

I do use AGS a lot though there are no shows around her put on by them. Well Kids Corral's show is AGS sanchioned but that's it. I did register my Lamanchas with them too last year. All but Darcy who's still in the air. Guess its about time to get her registered even if it is NOA.

I have no problem with Pygmy registrations, just so long as they don't open the Nigerian herdbook. Which I highly doubt would happen and especially without a lot of opposition from Nigerian breeders. They either do or use to register Pygmies. I don't keep up with that though.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they do register pygmies but they are now opening it up to the NPGA pygmies as well to increase the herd book probably. But they are sticking to the already registered - they cant be mix breeds - NPGA doesnt allow mixes so it is still purebred goats.

They have talked about opening up the standared herd book to allow for grade goats - I think that would be really nice!!! but nothing has been said about opening up the herd book for nigerians so that isn't in the works to my knowledge.

So what registry do you use then Ashley??

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is interesting. . . don't think I got mine yet but we do have a P.O box. I like AGS a lot. Try to register just about all of my goats with them, then ADGA.

8. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'm actually a member of all three AGS, ADGA and NDGA. I haven't sent any of my homebred goats into NDGA other than bucks at this point since it seems to be just more money to spend rather than shows to use it with. Everyone except Barbie is AGS and ADGA registered. Many are NDGA though.