Some new dosing information on Baycox

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Sep 28, 2010.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ashley was doing some research on a wormer and realized a possible discrepancy in our dosing of Baycox

The dosage is suppose to be 20mg/kg

after a bit of conversion (my bottle says 50 g/L ) we discovered that the dosage should be 9.09mg per lb

So multiply 9.09 times lbs of goat, then divide by 50 and you have how many cc's to give.

So 9.09 X 15lb =136.39 / 50 = 2.72 cc

Which means we have been severely under dosing.

I suggest a dosage of at least 2.7cc per 15lb

a place to purchase Baycox has this information on the drug

2. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Last week, I happened to come across dosing as well. I don't remember where I found this, but I wrote down the dosing in my notes:

It said to dose Baycox @ 1cc per 5.5 pounds, so that seems totally in line with what you just posted :thumb:

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ashley found the dosage not specific to Baycox (name brand) but to the drug Toltrazuril in her vet book.

kids-n-peeps you are right on the money that would be the dosage broken down to smaller increments

edit above with some more information

4. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
  5. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh, very good to know! Thanks, ladies!

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :thumb: thanks stacey, was too tired to post all that and still sound semi intelligent last night.

7. Barb

Barb New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Hello! My vet recommended using Baycox once every two weeks at the following rates.
    0-20lbs.:1cc
    20-30 lbs.:1.5cc
    30-60 lbs: 2cc
    60-100 lbs: 3cc
    100+: 5cc

I have been reading alot regarding the dosing on this and I have had great luck with it so far this year, being the first year I have tried it. I have raised Nubians since 1978 with 10 years off in between and used Corid, but no longer do. I then switched to Dimethox 40% injectable given in their milk bottles at a rate of 1.5 cc. daily per kid, and more if they continued to scour. I just ordered more Dimethox as I ran out of the Toltrazuril. I like it, but I have read that I may be underdosing. I would like to know the dose and frequency to use this product, as I feel I may be underdosing, although have had good results treated biweekly.
    Thank you! Barb :)

8. LilBleatsFarm

LilBleatsFarm Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Jul 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Hi Barb,

Did your vet recommend dosing every 2 weeks as a general rule or for a specific case?

The reason I ask is because Baycox is a kill all drug.

thanks,

9. packhillboers

packhillboers Senior Member

Now is this a preventative medication against Cocci or a treatment for advanced stages? Or is it both?

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Barb the proper dosing is all listed above in the first post which is the whole reason for this topic

Littlebleats it maybe a kill all drug but goats especially when young are constantly reinfecting themselves so every 2 weeks till weaned or 3 months old is what was recommend to me

Packhill this is not a prevention it is a treatment but all "preventions" are actually treatments

11. LilBleatsFarm

LilBleatsFarm Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Jul 18, 2012
    Colorado
    thanks -- good to know.

12. Barb

Barb New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    How often can you dose at 1 cc per 5 lbs for active diarrhea???

13. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    My vet recommended 1 cc per 5 # so not too far off ..Thanks Stacy for the post..it good to know whennew info is offered...:D

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Baycox is used to treat coccidia. So you would do the normal treatment for coccidia. It isn't used to treat diarrhea.

15. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

So a 200 # goat would get 40 cc's?? That seems like a lot! I know it says 1 cc per 5 lbs but man, trying to get 40 cc's down a bucks throat does not sound like a good time :lol:

DonnaBelle66 likes this.
  16. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Usually don't treat adult goats, I did have to one time and it was a lot.

17. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yep. It's a fantastic choice for treating kids. I do all the kids at 3-4 weeks of age and then if they are breeding animals, again at weaning. But it's not a great option for adults. Although, as noted above, most adult animals have the ability to fend off coccidiosis. In adults, there is usually a primary issue that weakens the system then allows coccidia to bloom, so if the primary issue is treated, the adult goat can *usually* fight down the coccidia. But of course, if they need to be treated then they need it.

18. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Good to know....I'll probably stick with Dimethox 40% for adults then.

19. Helenmac

Helenmac New Member

May 31, 2018
    Very good info. Is this doseage for 2.5% or 5%? Thank you.

20. Ethkayem

Ethkayem New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    So, for treating as a preventative would one dose be enough? (1-1/2 yr old Nubian)