some nubian questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by sixshooterfarm, Feb 17, 2009.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so I am getting a three bred nubian does. (doing some goat trading) and I had some paperwork question. Ok one is purebred and one is american. I know the american means that it is not necisarily purebred, like somewhere in the bloodlines there was like a alpine mixed in. And the purebred is just that, purebred nubian. But the american is bred to a purebred buck. What does that make the babies? Still american????
  2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes because the kids will still have that alpine in their bloodlines.

3. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    thank you! But do the babies come with papers? What do the papers say?
  4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    If both parents are registered then yes the babies can be registered, but they will be registered as American Nubians.
  5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    If all the does were bred to a purebred buck, the kids out of the purebred does will be purebreds and the ones out of the American does will be Americans. Be sure to get buck memos from the person you're getting the does from so you can register the kids. Her herd name will go on the kids' papers, but since the kids will be born on your farm, you can use your tattoo.
  6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Like goat kid said if the kids were in utero before you got them they will get the previous owners herdname, but you will imcorperate them into youre herd tattoo and order of births. I have bought does that were bred by another herd put their herdname first and then mine, referencing that they were born in my herd. For example, my goats are now being leased, we decided to put the herdname of the person in possesion on the kids sinse they were born on her farm, but sinse i technically still own the animals we made reference to my herd as well, so all kids born are Dreamhigh 2'Tuf____________ (kids name)
  7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    The only open herdbook is Lamancha. So Lamanchas are the only breed where you can breed up like that to purebred. Nubians would just be American if you bred an American to Purebred. Doublecheck with a Nubian breeder to know for sure.
  8. keebausch

keebausch New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I just spoke with the ADGA yesterday. Sables, as well as Lamancha, can be bred up to purebred. They are the only two that can go from American to Purebred. :hi5: