Some of my chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Di, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
  2. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan

3. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cute! I have a tophat rooster like your black ones! I also have a couple easter eggers. I sold most my grown hens, but I've got two of my easter eggers left, one lays blue eggs and the other green. I was trying to cut down, so of course my buff orp hen desides it's a good idea to start sitting. She was only sitting on one egg, a big green possible double yolker that I THOUGHT was infertle, but I checked the other day and it looks like some of the other hens have been slipping her their eggs, she's now got two more green eggs and 4 bantam eggs, and all (including the large egg) are developing!

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    That's pretty funny, I've been trying to discourage my broody hens, I just got some roosters so until recently the hens were getting broody with infertile eggs. But, now the roosters are "doing their thing" and I guess I could let this recent broody hen sit some eggs. I just got my first easter egg, cute tiny little green egg! So cute. I didn't get a top hat rooster, I guess I should have, but, I really am not a chicken breeder. My roosters are 1 Americana and 2 Brown Leghorn (they sent me an extra one), they are really pretty chickens.

5. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I bought the top hat straight run, I also got a white black crested chick, but something happened to that one (I think it was a roo too). I have also been trying to discourage the broodies, already had 5 this year (1st 4 were all on the same nest and hatched 22), the other hatched 15 (w/ alittle help, she left the nest after the first 9 hatched, I took the rest, and had to take the other chicks, she was not a great mom), I've already stopped this buff hen from setting once and one of the silkies, but this girl was determined, and I "thought" she only had one infertile egg, so I guess now I'm planning for more chicks, just what I need!

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Maybe I should just let this one set some eggs, make up for some of the loss from that darn fox!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had a broody little bantam she was so much fun with her chicks. But she would teach them how to drink out of the 5 gallon goat bucket and then they would drown because thye couldnt' keep their balance :tears: Loved her. I want to get a couple banty chicks once the barn is done.