Some people!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dover Farms, May 13, 2009.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    And some computers! I had this pretty much all typed up and the dumb thing froze up on me and I had to hit the power button. :hair: Shall we try again? :wink:

Okay so last fall we had some people buy a buck and a doe from us. Just a couple of days ago they emailed and said they are interested in Flirt, Fool's one doeling. First off..they asked if our price of $200 was firm, when it said right in the add $250 for her. :doh: Anyways, about 3-4 weeks ago we noticed that the doe wasn't on their site anymore. We had a feeling that she had died...these people have loads of goats and I was a bit suspicious when we sold to them. So, we asked them how the goats were doing...and they replied and said that the buck was doing great, but the doe had died from kidding problems. She kidded early by like a month or close to. They said she was in labor for two days(yes you read that right) and just passed bubbles and fluid. Then she passed two premature, dead, smelly bucklings. (lovely) They said they did everything for her and three days after she had the bucklings she lost her fight. Well...tell me...what vet would let an animal(and I don't care if they are a goat vet or not) go in labor for two days?!?! But I really don't know for sure. So, I emailed them back and said "I'm sorry to hear about the doe. Your vet let her go two days in labor? If I were you, I'd be getting a different vet." That was yesterday and they haven't emailed me back yet. Maybe they got the gesture?? I hope so, cause I honestly don't think they took her to the vet. :veryangry: They ain't getting another one of my goats!!!! :angry:
  2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    aww I'm sorry this happened. Hopefully they did do everything they could do for her. I was in the same situation this year with one of my ewes who was left in labour for a couple of days (I think) without anyone noticing. However in this case the guys didn't mean badly, they simply didn't have the brains to know that she was in labour . . . etc. (obviously I would NOT want this to happen again, and don't plan to have kidding/lambing at any time when I'm not there in the future)

and that's the whole point... if they WERE there... (and they should've been, unless it was a situation similar to mine where they had no choice)... then surely they would have known? If they had goats, they should know if a goat is in labour. And they've no excuse for not knowing if they say she was passing bubbles and fluid etc.

I don't know :shrug:

but I'm sorry it happened :grouphug:

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Wow thats terrible :hug: I cant think of anything else to say, wow :(
  4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sorry to hear about your doe :(
  5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Sorry to hear about the doe :hug:

I sold a buck and a wether to a farm down the road a few years ago, at the time the person seemed like she was going to actually take care of them. She kept them in a very very small pen in the sun usually with no water in it and little hay :( They died after two years.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is so sad......I am sorry... the doe has passed... :( ..sounds like they knew for sure.... she was in labor.....If they have alot of'd think .... they would know how to intervene....when a goat is in trouble....I cannot see.... a vet .....not do anything for her .....when she is in active labor........something doesn't seem right there....... :scratch: :hug:
  7. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    That's very sad; those people would be on a DO NOT SELL TO list from now on. :(
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know, I am not at all trying to cause trouble but has MOST everyone lost a goat before? Sometimes it was on our own lack of knowledge and sometimes it is just the Lord taking them home.

I sold a doe to someone and shortly after i did they called and said she was tore up my a dog and they had to put her down. Now could that of happened at my house? Sure, so how could I have mean really mad at her for it. It was a neighbors dog that dug under the fence. Nothing they could of done to prepare for it. They did have the dog put down because they had another of my goats and they did not want him hurt either. Was I mad :veryangry: OH you bet. I could of killed them, but after I really looked at the situation, I new THEY did not mean to have her hurt to where they had to put her down.

It is not any different when one of our goats gets hurt at out plce and is either killed or has to be put down.
  9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree that there are accidents....illnesses and other things that can take the life of a goat that was sold......but knowing that this goat was in labor... for 2 days... :shocked: hard to seems doubtful ...that a vet was called ........I personally...cannot see a vet ignoring a doe ...that is in full labor...... :hug:
  10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    we have delt with situations right here on TGS where people have talked about a goat and not been totaly sure if she was in labor, some of us will tell that person to go in and check othertimes we send them to a vet but sometimes it isnt ment to be for mom and the babies. Sometimes the goat just never fully progresses from stage one labor and to some people they dont know that it could mean a stuck kid. Thats why TGS is great, lots of valuable information from people who have been in many differnet situations raising goats.

It sounds like you need to get more of the facts or be willing to just let it go. Its hard when you hear of an animal you so diligently raised and cared for dies (I know first hand!). But I would never want someone to have bad mouthed me after I let my goats eat a Japanese Yew and both died a painful death, or my overcrowded conditions lead to the death of a buck kid last year from who knows what......and I slept in and one of my doe had complications when kidding and the dead kid was stuck with only its head out when I got out later in the morning. I almost lost my doe! That doe had been in labor for a couple days prior, stopped labor then started again. Was the kid dead before second labor started? did he die because I slept in? Who knows. Should I have interviened when labor started again? she never got to the pushing part so I didnt know there was trouble till I got out there but it was to late.

To judge someone just because the kid they bought off you died is unfair. Im sorry but you need more facts before you can do that.
  11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Thanks everyone.

I understand that things happen...I get that. I can tell you, though, that no doe here would be left in labor for two days. And knowing she is passing bubbles and fluid and not intervening?? And if the kids were that smelly...then they've been dead for a while, so she most likely was acting off.

I guess it doesn't really matter...we've made our decision and they aren't getting any more goats from us...
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome..... :hug: