Some questions on kidding

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kelebek, Nov 7, 2007.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok so I just got back from the barn and nightly feeding when I noticed something weird -

My nd "daisy" is due to kid on January 28th. We have a confirmed pregnancy of at least twins. SHe is HUGE! I swear she is just as wide as she is tall (ok she is a shorty) but I just can't believe how fast she has grown.

Anyway, when she turned to walk away I noticed..... her coochy coo was open a little and pink. Now I know that a week ago it was completely closed.

Do they tend to "open"? Even only half way through pregnancy? I don't have a digital at the moment cause my hubby takes it to work during the week - but open???

This is just to weird - and mabey it is normal - I don't know! Please someone tell me.

I have never had a pregnant goat before and am SOOOO not ready for her to deliver now. I saw my buck mounting her in August and all of it, but there is always the possibility I guess that she was preggers before I got her.....

Someone please tell me what to do.

She is eating and drinking, a little shyer then normal - but other then that ok.

Thanks
    Al

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well if she is carrying multiples then yes it could happen. And I know what you are describing, Mia did that but I can't remember how far along she was.

when scaned did the vet give you an idea how far along she looked?

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    It sounds normal to me. Both of my does had multiples and weren't "open" like you describe. But I have seen others who were, so I'm sure it's perfectly fine :wink:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, if they are not due until Jan 28, I would say that is NOT normal. She is way to far away for this. Is it possible that the due date is wrong? I have three does that are having at least twins, and they are due in the very early part on jan, Jan 1, and one 3rd. Nether of them are open at all.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Stacy - no the vet did not give me an approximate gestation, as she had never done goat ultrasounds before!

Daisy has kidded a single birth before I got her, so this is really new to me and all my others are first freshners.

No one else looks "open" like that so was curious.

Thanks All!

6. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I have 3 pygmies that are due December 6-10th and as of last week, their rear ends were spread open and pink showing. I had one last year that I thought the baby was going to fall out for at least 2 weeks before she kidded because she was that loose. When she laid down it looked like the baby was coming out. I wonder if she is further along than you think though since I have only seen this happen in the last month of pregnancy.

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Usually, with all my girls the later in their term they got the more swollen in the rear. As far as being open, is she swollen? If so, then it's her movements causing her to open...because of the swollen tissue. Tilly was like this for a month before she delivered...and she had twins. Your doe still has a while to go...so watch her,especially if you are not sure of her due date.

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh I'm sorry I read it wrong, it was late lol.

I would guess the due date is wrong then. Is her udder filling?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good point Chelsey.

The udder developement would be a good indication either way

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    No her udder is not filling and she is not "swollen" per say, just open about an 1/8th - 1/4" open. you can see the pink from the inside, but that is it.

I saw her being bred so I really think that I have the right due date, as a buck wouldn't "breed" a bred doe would he???

Ah man!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes a buck can and will breed a bred doe if given the chance. Most of the time the does will not stand for the buck so you don't see that happening often.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    OHHH man - that means maybe I need to get the kidding stall ready like yesterday???

When I "saw" her be bred it was about 2 weeks after I got the both of them. But she had been with another buck prior to me getting her.

Crap - I am going to be so mad if she was bred prior to me getting her.

Thanks to everyone who is helping me. Hopefully I can get pics of her this weekend.

Allison

13. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I agree, I have 3 due in 3 weeks and they're just starting to look swollen back there. The one I have due 1-28 doesn't even look pregnant yet. If she's as huge and wide as you say with a swollen vulva then I think she's got less than a month to go if not very soon!

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC

Oh and I've had does continue to breed months after settling and still kid by their first breeding due date so it sounds like to me, that the breeding you witnessed was nothing.

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Even though she is not swollen?

There is no swelling what so ever - just open a bit.

She is so big that she can barely jump up on the spools anymore!

Here's another question - Do goats typically sit like dogs?

I walked around the corner to feed tonight, and my dear Chloe was sitting like a dog. I started rolling laughing at her. She is my little itty bitty pygmy that I rescued! LOL!

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Liz -

I just looked at your post of your girl who was bred about the same time as mine and mine is huge compared to her.

I think she might have been bred before I got her!!!

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do you have a picture of her backend? if you can't post it on her I can help.

Pictures of her udder area would be helpful too.

If she is that big she is NOT making it to January let alone January 28th

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am having hubby bring the camera home this weekend. We own a body shop - so during the week he takes it there so he can use it at work.

I have been looking on line but I can find no pics of goat fetal development to compare the ultrasound that I saw the end of September with.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I have one let me give you the link