Some questions on kidding

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kelebek, Nov 7, 2007.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    well if the ultrasound was true to size when I saw it on the 29th of September, she would have been about 2-21/2 months gestation then, so she would have about a month or so left in gestation - and that does put her bred before I purchased her.

How crappy! I really wanted my buck to be the papa! LOL! And I have no idea who the dad is not except that he was a nigerian!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    2 - 2 1/2 gestation would mean she has at least 2 1/2-3 months to go not one month. :confused:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sorry I ment when the ultrasound was done which was the 29th of Septmeber.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok MY BAD! goodness can't I read! :roll: :doh:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Can you tell that I am panicing. I don't have the kidding stall done yet, and I am supposed to go out of town this weekend. But looks like I have to much to do.

She would be about 4 or so months gestation - not 2 1/2.

If you go to my website and click on does, there is a pic of daisy and you can see there she is even a bit rounded, and that was taken very eary October, she is at least double if not triple of that now.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    after looking at your website - Daisy is no pygmy. She is Nigerian Dwarf and she looks pregnant in that picture. (you usually can tell at 3 months - they just POP out) So yah if those pictures were taken in October that would go right with the timing you believe her to be on.

7. debpnigerians

debpnigerians New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    north central Texas
    Ligaments

Check her ligaments......if you don't know how, picture your hand with thumb folded over the pinkie and the remaining three fingers spread as wide as possible. Your middle finger is her spine, the outer fingers are her ligaments. That's the way they are positioned and they run along the top of her rump, from spine to pin bones. Run your open hand firmly but gently down her back with thumb and fingers on iether side of her spine, from the top of her rump until you run out of goat. About three to six inches from her bottom you'll feel the ligaments. Try this on an open or newly bred doe first as they're easier to find, being very firm in an open doe....like very strong rubber bands. The closer a doe gets to term the softer those ligaments get. When she's within 12 hours of kidding, they disappear altogether. (Bear in mind, she can kid 11 hours and 59 minutes after they disappear or 10 minutes later! We're talking about a species who's main pleasure is driving us nuts, remember.) Good luck!

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Stacey - Yes Chloe is a pygmy and daisy is a ND. Chloe the blond pygmy was the one who was sitting like a dog.

Funny thing is - I have 2 daisy goats - 1 is pygmy (the one that broke a horn last week) and then 1 that is ND.

So - what do you think - do you think that she will kid earlier then the January 28th??

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well then I am totaly confused on which goat I was looking at on your website.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like you looked at Daisy when I talked about Chloe sitting.

But the one that I am so worried about kidding early - or should I say mabey on time but didn't know she was pregnant - is Daisy the Nigerian Dwarf. I only have a pic of this Daisy on the website.

I am attaching the 2 pics of her here for you. The first was taken the end of August right after I got her. The next was taken the beginning of October.

Now she is 2-3 times rounder then in the last picture!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok I just easily get confused! thanks for clearing it up for me

12. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    I have an ND doe due Jan 23rd who just got enormous over the past week. Like - swallowed a watermelon truck enormous. They do get to looking very preggers kinda early on sometimes. If she's not all bagged up - you're probably just expecting multiples. woohoo!

Kristen

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I know by ultrasound we have at least two. This is her second kidding - and her first freshning, she had a single.

Now if she was bred to my buck, which is what I have been thinking and due the 28th of January, he is "known" for throwing triplets and quads. Now I am not sure if that is the doe side or his - but POOR Daisy if she has anymore then 2!

14. PixieDustHollow

PixieDustHollow New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Delaware
    The doe determines litter size and the buck determines gender.

15. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Let me show you a fat doe...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She kidded triplets about a month later.

16. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    That pic of Fushia sitting is PRICELESS!

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok maybe she is normal then! LOL! She is HUGE!!!

Daisy is not that big!

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well some pictures of her would help but i say still be on the look out in the next month just in case.

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I will try to get them this weekend!

Stacey - you need to get some rest - you are always on here :0)

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hehe, yah well I am addicted what can I say.

Actually I was offline while at work from 1:3-9:00pm today

I was working on my website so I got the e-mail about your reply so I had to check out what you said :D