The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you clean stalls and wash them down, what do you use? and how often do you do this? >>> my goats will never be stalled unless kidding or sick, they do have an open area that is like on big stall

What do you think of the mana goat minerals?
---What brand do you like?

Any milk/vet stand designs?

What do you find to be a "have to have" when milking?

What kind of hay do you feed? >>> I typically buy 2nd cutting orchard/timothy with a little of alfalfa for my horses, will this be ok for goats?

How many bales of hay do you go through per goat in a mild winter? (September to beginning of march) >> they will be feed grain, and does will be pregnant and kidding.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
When you clean stalls and wash them down, what do you use? and how often do you do this? >>> my goats will never be stalled unless kidding or sick, they do have an open area that is like on big stall I just muck out the stalls and put down fresh bedding.

What do you think of the mana goat minerals?
---What brand do you like? Top Choice by Southern States is my favorite

Any milk/vet stand designs? Try looking in the barnyard section of the forum for ideas

What do you find to be a "have to have" when milking? Ice in the bucket to cool the milk immediately. Makes the milk last longer. I use two buckets. One small one to milk into and dump periodically into the larger one with the icepack in it

What kind of hay do you feed? >>> I typically buy 2nd cutting orchard/timothy with a little of alfalfa for my horses, will this be ok for goats? I use straight alfalfa but a mix will also do.

How many bales of hay do you go through per goat in a mild winter? (September to beginning of march) >> they will be feed grain, and does will be pregnant and kidding. really depends on breed I have minis so the amount I go through would be different. Also the number of goats you have. Figure on how many bales you are going through now a week, add a bale (they eat more in the winter usually, because of pregnancy, cold etc) then multiply that by 4 weeks then that number by the number of months till the next cutting when you can get more (typically around here thats after June).

my answers are in red

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUESTION: Can milk be frozen? How long is it good for after being frozen?

So you don't mix bleach and wipe down the walls ?.. I have never done it but heard of people doing it :)

Thanks for the information! :)

On the hay>> I am not feeding hay right now. Except to the two new girls I got (who are very skinny). I have enough fenced area that they are not needing hay right now. They are standard size (4) Boers, 1 Apline, and 1 mutt (dairy and meat mix)... I buy hay once a year, and that time is coming sooo I have no clue how much I will need to make it through winter with the goats, (I haven't had them in so long), it seemed to me 2 flakes of hay per goat per day ?

Maybe some one who raises Boer's can help me on that one... 2 flakes of hay per day per goat seem right? The hay I buy is good quality from an established hay field that has been farmed for over 80 years.

·
14,615 Posts
Yes the milk can be frozen. It will be a little clumpy but fine. I havent had milk in freezer more than a year, we run out. :p
I like to put it in well rinsed out vinegar jugs; have had too much breakage with glass. Be sure to leave at least an inch of head room.

Yep, about two flakes alfalfa per goat.

As for stall cleaning if the wood floor gets wet from urine I just pour on hot water & vinegar. For dirt floors we use PDZ or something similar.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
When I had two standard goats they received two flakes in the morning and two at night. A little more on cold nights in the winter (digestion helps keep them warm).

try to get second cutting its more nutritionally packed then first cutting.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that's good :) I hope I won't need to use it for any babies this year that momma's don't take :)

My stalls are wood, but the floor is dirt/lime/little bitty rocks. I use wood shavings for bedding.

We have a pretty mild climate here, and my barn can be completely locked up so if it gets really bad they can be put up. I always get second cutting I like it over first and third. The bales I buy are 50-60 pounds.

I can't believe 6 goats will need more hay then my 3 horses! That is just crazy...

Has any one ever used round bales, tore them apart and fed them that way?

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
We made a round bale feeder for my goats, it is up off the ground so they can go under the bale, but they can not get in with the bale, the squares on the rounded side are also the small squares that they can't get their heads in. My 15 goats will eat 3 round bales per winter, that is starting end of October and running until March/April. They usually have part of one left over that they can munch on through the summer. They do waste a lot, but it is much easier than feeding square bales. If it is raining/snowing outside they will get hay in their barn from a square bale. I try to give them enough to eat and have some extra to lay on. My goats also get alfalfa pellets, usually 2 lbs per head per day.

In comparison, our 4 horses went through 1 round bale every 10 days. Our 6 cows go through 1 round bale every 2 weeks in the winter.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Can you post pictures of your round bale feeder? that seems like a much better option :)

I would be able to afford to feed them round bales a lot easier then square.. and store them better, then just keep a few square bales on hand!

Hubby and my dad are both carpenters so I am really interested to see what you have made.. How many years have you used it ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts