Some Silly Questions!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Itchysmom, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Since I am new the the goat thing.......

I know horsies terms but there are some goat terms I am not sure of and really would appreciate some definitions!

So far the ones I am not sure of are:
    FF
    Freshening
    Flushing
    Milk her through

If there are any others you think of, please add them. :ponder:

2. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    FF = First Freshener
    Freshening = giving birth and starting lactation
    Flushing = this is a technique to try and produce more multiple births, it is also used for sheep... you basically want to increase the number of calories and nutrients they're getting, so you can increase grain, increase quality of hay, worm, etc.
    Milk her through = milk the goat for a bit under 2 years instead of a bit under 1... in other words, she doesn't freshen the next time you'd freshen all of your does... she is just "milking through" instead of freshening.

k I hope I got those right :)

3. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thank you! So, milking through just means you don't breed her and just milk her instead?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    milk through means you milked her through the breeding season and into the next spring/summer

obviously she would need to be bred for the first time to start the milking process.

5. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Ok, got the milking through thing. But, I thought that goats are only productive in the milf department for about 10 months. Isn't it hard to get a good quntity of milk for two years straight without breeding them?

Oh, and how many years can you breed a goat? I have Sanaans so keep that breed in mind please!

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Milking through is very much dependent on the genetics of the goat. Some lines will not milk through and have to be freshened every year. Sanaans will more than likely have the genetics for it. You may not get quite as much milk per day on the second year, but milking the extra two months makes up for it. You also don't have 2 months that you are trying to stretch the frozen milk through. That helps if you have a family, don't like frozen milk, or don't have a big freezer. Milking through is also easier on the doe than kidding every yr.