Someone is messing with my goats!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by citygoat, Mar 2, 2008.

1. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    I live between two neighboors that do not like me very much. (bought family property and they dont like it). this morning i hear one of my neighboors talking(yelling) to someone in the road about the white people(me). she said "we'll be goat watching today" i didn't think much of it. but then about 30 minutes later i get a knock on the door. its a cop and my goats are on the front proch. he wanted know if they were mine. he said that they were down the road on the corner!!!! :shocked: i told him that they have NEVER gotten out b-4. so i start walking back to the pen and the gate is down. there is no way they could knock down that gate and the chain was gone. not broken or laying around but GONE! i told him that i think someone may have let them out. i put them on chains while i talked to them and then animal control. i ended up getting a warning ticket of running at large(goats). next time its 120.00 dollars. well everyone was laughing and the cops thought it was really funny. i left them on chains to go get my uncle to help me fix the gate. when i got back someone had let them off their chains :veryangry: they still had on their collars and the chains looked fine and the clasps were wroking fine. and they have never gotten off b-4. so they are now back in their pen with a LOCK of their gate. poor things, what a day. i have to carry a key just to go play with my billies. i also locked the dog kennel just for good measure. just wanted to vent. thanks for reading

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh my!! and the cops won't do anything? People sometimes :veryangry:

3. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    If I were you I would invest in a security camera one that you can record from and report them to the police.

4. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    nope, cops acted like it was no big deal. the other neighboor was even outside taking pictures of them in my front yard saying "i have pictures of them lose" ok whatever you dont need pictures i have a Ticket that says it. i was thinking of getting cameras but i would have to find some type of wireless system. i cant stand ignorant people they have no idea what they could have caused. they could have gotten hit by a car or attacked by a dog or eaten something bad. i didn't even call the cops when there dog was lose but they always try to get me introuble some how.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

wow, im glad i havnt had anything like that happen. my neighbors for the most part are nice. i think i would invest in a camera as well. I was asking a friend of mine where she got her barn cam and they paid $150 for it at acostco. Pretty dood price as far as im concerned.
    beth

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thats terrible. I sometimes wonder if someone is messing with my goats but I have no proof either and my mom and brothers are home quite a bit of the day (though not all days).

There is a neighbor feud going on and one guy called the cops on the other because he said that the guy and his brother were trying to run him over on his bike with their quads. Well the guy and his brother showed the cops the video they took of the one neighbor hidding with his bike and then how he shot out into the street just as they were passing. The cops were not to happy about the new evidence. Supposibly the guy and brother can now press charges on the neighbor - he was undecided last my dad heard. Not sure if he did or not. But he did put a sensor light on his house that now shines into my bedroom! GRRR but what can I do, he needs to keep his family safe.

Neighbor wars are terrible is all I can say. I hope that you can catch them in the act. Maybe pretend you aren't home - like drive you car and then walk back and watch with a video camera or something.

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    That is a horrible thing!!!! I cant imagine someone doing this to anyone!!!!!

8. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    That's a shame. :angry: People! :hair:

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    One thing you might be able to try is belling your goats so that if they are disturbed you can hear it.
    Then, irritating as it may be, I might go to one or two of the neighbors and tell them that someone (NO accusations) have let your goats loose and you were so afraid that the poor animals would get hit by a car or attacked by dogs, and they are pets so could they please watch out for someone doing this to help you, and to please let you know if you saw any goats loose and you will come right away to get them. Be prepared for a little sniggering but involving the people to protect your animals might help. But thank them for their presumed intention to help.
    Also the remark about goat watching could have been that the person saw the goats loose and not that they let the goats loose- that would still be unkind but at least you might avoid a misunderstanding.

Also, if you know that any of these people go to church, you might visit that minister and ask what you can to to have a better relationship with your neighbors (if that is what you want.)

Finally you should insist that the police take a report about someone letting your animals out- they don't have to believe you but they do have to take the report. And this might help you later on. Remember that the pocie have probably heard all the excuses in the book for things and get pretty jaded. That doesn't mean that you should let them intimidate you into letting them off the hook. A report is not that big a deal.

Good luck with this- I hate hate hate bad feeling with neighbors.

10. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    I would get the camera. And I would also involve the Humane Society. They are more likely to help you with situations where someone is messing with your animals than the police. You could also put a dog out near the goats. Most people are detered by dogs.

11. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    At work we have security camers and movement is recorded. I am not sure if all security cameras are recorded? Also we have to post SIGNS that say, that these premisis are under closed circuit survelience. Not sure if something like that would help or make it worse. I would at least put hidden cams up. Maybe a LGD :) . They sound cheaper than the tickets. Good luck, bummer your neighbors suck.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is to bad that someone would do this to you - you are being alot nicer about this then I think I would be! I hope things get better and that your goats are safe.

Allison

13. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    I havent thought about putting bells on them! thanks thats a good idea. as much as i would like to talk to my neighboors they wont even wave at me. when we first met them and told them that we were buying the place they were very friendly and they knew that we were going to have farm animals. but as soon as we bought it at started getting the animals setteled in they did i complete turn around and called the human society b/c i had electric fencing for the horses. i found a wireless camera at wal-mart for $100. some of the comments on it are good and some are not so i might just give it a try. it reaches up to 300 feet. my dogs can see the whole back yard and the pasture except directly behind the runin. but if their in the dog house (which faces the house) they wouldn't see someone if they snuck in trough the back of the pasture.

14. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    First I read your thread, then this one:
    http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2311
    He has a web-cam he got for $25. I have no idea how that works, but might be another idea? I agree too with talking with the humane society type organizations.
    (ok, so I havn't figrd hw to pst lnks yet, yu hav to paste, lol)

15. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    When I :horse: South I will be looking for at least three acres.

:shrug: must people turn your :wahoo: into :mecry:.

16. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Maybe a better camera would be one that people use for tracking deer and such. You set it up and it takes actual photos when it detects movement. That is the one I would get.

17. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I would post "No Tresspassing" signs along with a large note saying the property is under video surveillance and any violators **will be prosecuted**.

That should be sufficient to make them think twice about messing w/your critters.

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Shannon, I am so sorry that you are having to go through such a hard time. :hug: to you.

I really do not know what to say other then I totally agree with Tog Lover. I would sure call the Humane society , they will not stand for anything like that, at least around here.
    I do not know if I would tell them about them getting out in the road and being hit, or attacked by a dog, I am afraid that just might give them more ideas.
    I had a neighbor that took a shovel and smashed my cat in the face TWICE because the cat was on his fence. I tell you we were over there almost as fast as he could put that shovel down and it was not real close. He is a TOUGH (so he thinks) city slicker that moved to the country and thinks he know it all.
    Long story short, it was three years ago, and NOW they are asking us to feed their animals when they are snowed in town and can not make it out. Of course we do it because I do not want the horses to suffer because he is a jerk. So what I am getting at is, I will sure pray that this all comes to a end and you all can be happy neighbors, because it sounds like THEY are missing out on a great neighbor.
    I double or triple the idea about a camera on the barn and I sure would not if thought twice about called that cop back out to take a statements about how your goat mysteriously came off the leads. Good Luck and we are pulling for you.

19. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    Omg thats awful about your cat. these same neighboors killed my poor cat. she had already recovered from a broken pelvis and nursing kittens and then they put out antifreez with hamburger. she started haveing sezuries at the vets so we let her go. i just dont understand why some people have to be so mean. i have sgins up but i guess people around here cant read.

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Is there any way that you can prove they did that to you cat? I can no believe people would do stuff to a animal to get back at the people. I do not care how bad I dislike a person I would NEVER hurt a poor innocent animal, I mean they are not the ones that are the trouble.
    Is there any way at all you can try to talk to them? It does sound like you have tried and they are the jerks, but man I hate to hear about you animals getting hurt because they are jerks.
    I sure will pray for a better outcome then you are having now. :hug: :hug: