The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So miss Betty is a little plump, I don't feel like "jelly bean" is a good shape for a goat!

She has a backstory, her owner passed away and the spouse just free fed the goats unlimited grain. Clearly she has been taking full advantage of that.

So my question is can I cut down grain right away or should I do it slowly

IMG_5305.jpg

·
Registered
585 Posts
Is jelly bean pregnant? I don't have any experience with cutting back massive amounts of grain, my guess would be you could probably just stop, I'm sure some more experienced people will chime in. She's a very pretty girl. She was living it up and now it's time for some goat weight watchers lol.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If she's pregnant she was just bred this week. The gentleman I got her from had helped the lady who was free feeding them grain (the one who's spouse died), she had no interest in the goats nor really knew much about them.

She had kids Nov or Dec and the gentleman I got her from said she was in heat this week and was in a pen with a buck who was a "very happy boy". With that being said the extra "fluff" she has isn't going to be related to this pregnancy.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I would feel uncomfortable completely cutting. I'd give unlimited hay, all day long, and I'd give it away from the water so she has to walk from place to place. And then in the evening, I would give a small grain feeding. That way her rumen is full from the hay, but she is still getting some grain at night. But I would make it a very small amount.

Reactions: SalteyLove

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I can do that, I am thinking I'll also mix some alfalfa pellets in there that way she *thinks* she's getting more than she really is. She's also in a pasture now (over run with weeds and brush lol) where before she was cooped up in a pretty small pen. Her pen in the barn is 3x as big as she had before and now she has tons of space so hopefully that will also help.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Is she going to town grazing? She is a nice looking goat! Did you get a photo of the buck she is likely bred to?

For this week, I'd probably put out a small dish of baking soda for her. Her rumen pH is going to be changing a LOT and may need some moderation.
I'd also get her vaccinated for CD/T pretty quick with the booster in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's been with both of these for the past few months but the person I bought her from says he believes she was in heat this week and she was only with the black and white buck and he saw them breed multiple times

IMG_5281.jpg

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She did go to town on the minerals I had out and has been grazing but she's pretty nervous so stops if she hears anything (which is all the time, I live near a hunting preserve so they have lots of dogs barking)

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Saltey had an excellent point about the buffer being available for a while. Her system can make it's own, but this will be a big (healthy) change and we want her rumen to stay working. I'd keep a tube of Probios on hand and give a dose if you ever see anything off.

I'm glad to hear about the minerals and the grazing. Both are great.

Goats are very intelligent and alert animals. They will startle and stop when there is something new. But they WILL figure out the new normal.

I think your Jelly Bean will be very happy with you, and you with her.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried to purchase the silver buck, someone beat me to it! Literally within hours of them posting the ad the buck was picked up and they live in the middle of freaking no where so it was impressive how quick he was snagged! All of the goats they had were super nice minus how fat they were!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts