The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just sitting on the milk stand talking on the phone and I noticed my 8 week old buckling has a lump on his neck right under this jaw on the midline. It is not hard but not really squishy- feels like playdough under the skin. We just got back from the county fair 10 days ago (and he had to go along due to still nursing). Today is the very first that I noticed anything. He acts fine and is his normal bouncy self. What do I need to look for, or do? He is a Nubian.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My mini Nubian kids get squishy lumps there. Does it look kind of like the one on this kid? If so it may be a little milk goiter. The only kids of mine who have ever got them were ones with heavily milking moms. They go away when the kid is weaned.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Milk goiter is what I was thinking too...8 weeks is a bit young for CL could also be iodine goiter as well

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Milk Goiter sounds fantastic! What is it? Actually anything that is NOT CL sounds good to me. Do I need to do anything for him? I was planning to wean this weekend but I think it will get pushed back a week- there are broiler chickens in the pen he will need to go to. His mom is a good milker. Thanks you guys. Here is a picture of the lump and also just a picture of him because I had the camera out.

Attachments

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
Milk neck, or milk goiter is when a baby gets a healthy amount of milk (and then some). Little is known about it, it just means that his mom is a great milker and he is getting good nutrition. It is not bad, or good. It just is. It will disappear after weaned, don't worry, he is fine and you don't need to do anything.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I was just sitting on the milk stand talking on the phone and I noticed my 8 week old buckling has a lump on his neck right under this jaw on the midline.
I would agree with it being a milk goiter. That is not a CL site, and CL does not generally show up before 6 months of age at the minimum.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
My doeling got one, when I sold her brother and she suddenly got ALL the milk from momma, haha!

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
yep milk goiter and a VERY HANDSOME GUY! it will begin to shrink once he is weened : )

·
1,524 Posts
Its actually caused by the growth of the gland in the neck. My Nubian kids raised on milk replacer have them. Nubian or Nubian cross seem to have them more so than other breeds, however some of my other breeds have gotten them also. They outgrow them when their body growth catches up with the size of the glands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts