The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My big Nubian doe Annie. I was walking around in our front yard then a guy pulled up. Asking if I wanted to sell her. I said, "No sir! She is not for sale." He said, "you know, we Mexicans like to eat goat." And he smilled......I said, " sorry sir she isn't for sale, also, shes not a meat breed, she is dairy. Then he started talking to my dad and I took Annie back to the pasture....it was very interesting experience...馃槄馃槄

*I used the word "Mexicans" because that is what he said. Please dont think im being mean. That is what he said. Thanks! *

Registered
One of my nightmares! Thankfully our goats aren鈥檛 near the front so it鈥檚 harder to see them, but I鈥檇 very well panic if someone ever asked me that about my goaties, lol!

Hopefully he doesn鈥檛 come by again. Keep an eye out!

Registered
dary farm
My big Nubian doe Annie. I was walking around in our front yard then a guy pulled up. Asking if I wanted to sell her. I said, "No sir! She is not for sale." He said, "you know, we Mexicans like to eat goat." And he smilled......I said, " sorry sir she isn't for sale, also, shes not a meat breed, she is dairy. Then he started talking to my dad and I took Annie back to the pasture....it was very interesting experience...馃槄馃槄

*I used the word "Mexicans" because that is what he said. Please dont think im being mean. That is what he said. Thanks! *
My dad has a green house and we have some Hispanics that work there. the green house is right by the goat pasture and every day while im feeding them they come and try to buy them to eat them.

Super Moderator
We have people asking to buy our goats often for meat. We live in an area with many Hispanics, who enjoy a good bbq, most are very respectful when we decline. The rest see my two great Danes lol. My male Dane Timothy is mostly black, scary looking and very fence protective! And then there is my sons wolf hybrid. SHE looks ready for a fight all the time!! We have never had an issue, but have read many stories where others have.

Registered
My in laws are Mexican, they tease me all the time about eating my goats. We have a lot of people stop by looking for goats to bbq for their parties. I always say, sorry I don't have any for sale!
I am ok with the idea of people eating goats, just not my goats.

Super Moderator
I agree Tanya. I dont have an Issue with eating goat...but they deserve to be treated humanely. I don't understand the purpose of the cruel ritual 馃様

Registered
*Gotta love 鈥榚m kids!*
That鈥檚 awful Tanya! I don鈥檛 understand how people can treat animals like that鈥. I understand if you want to eat a goat (which personally I couldn鈥檛 do), but why torture it?

We鈥檝e had people call wanting to buy our goats for meat. We just tell them they鈥檙e a dairy breed/pets and we don鈥檛 feel comfortable selling for meat.

Registered
The Monkhood
The animals are truly tortured before culled and even left without food and water for days. Transporting them is worse. Their legs get broken during transport and they are just left like that till its time.
This description pictured in my mind, all choked up, shedding tears for goats I've never seen before. Gosh, Tanya, it's a horrific act to subject an animal to. :cry::mad:

Registered
The culture here does not allow for much compassion. Animals are pure possessions and living beings. Not all South Africans are this way but there are factions. Every time I see crude trailers filled with goats or cattle or even pigs I want to cry. I wish I had the funds to pay for every animal but that will never end the next group from suffering the same way.

Registered
The culture here does not allow for much compassion. Animals are pure possessions and living beings. Not all South Africans are this way but there are factions. Every time I see crude trailers filled with goats or cattle or even pigs I want to cry. I wish I had the funds to pay for every animal but that will never end the next group from suffering the same way.
It's so sad. I have always been raised to treat animals/livestock kindly. If you do need slaughter one (never my dairy goats, but we had meat rabbits for awhile) then make it fast and painless as possible. I can't even begin to know how to process people letting them lay around broken for days without feed etc until a ritual. That's just cruel. I respect everyone cultures but like you I would wish I could save them all!

Super Moderator
That鈥檚 good your dad knows him but still might be a sign. Not that HE would do anything but things are getting dicey in our world as it is. Over the years there has been a few things that have made me step back and I decided I didn鈥檛 like that feeling. So I now take measures for security. If I don鈥檛 know you your not getting past my gate entrance. Sorry you want to see the rest of the herd, not happening, I have many pictures on FB and my website. And I鈥檓 even more set on this with all the goat theft with prices being so high and activist 鈥渟aving鈥 goats even from the dirty horrible small breeders. The day that one baby was stollen from a set up WAY nicer then mine and people applauded it was the day I realized people in general has lost their minds!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts