Somersaults - PIC ADDED :)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by DebMc, Aug 4, 2010.

1. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Anyone seen their goat do a somersault? My Mitsy did 3 in a row today! :shocked: I couldn't believe my eyes! Of course, I didn't have my camera...ran in to get it thinking she wouldn't do a repeat but lo and behold she did. :thumb: But dang if the batteries weren't dead. :(

Altogether, Mitsy did five somersaults. Each time, she started off by pawing at the ground, then bonked her head against that same spot a few times as if butting it, then set her head flat down, arched her back and over she went! So-o-o-o cute! :clap: :laugh: :wahoo: I'm flabbergasted!

Why would a goat do somersaults? :scratch: Got me! :slapfloor:

I'm hoping this wasn't a one day performance, that she does it again and I can capture it on camera. In the meantime, I'd like to know if anyone else has seen a goat do a somersault on it's own accord. I mean a real, honest to goodness somersault. :whatgoat:

Deb Mc

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Somersaults

That would be really neat to see ...get it on video... :thumb: :dance:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

video!!

I've never seen it..

4. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010

You do clicker training don't you? You need to catch that little stunt with a click. :cool:

Jen

5. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009

I don't have a camcorder and I don't know how to use the cheapo one built into my cell phone so it'll have to be a pic or, hopefully, a succession of pics showing the deed being done. :)

I have to say Mitsy is a bit different. The other day I caught her dancing on top of her Dogloo - no kidding! I had my camera on hand and snapped a pic but cut off her head. Figures! Then a little while later she jumped back up on the Dogloo and started offering behaviors trying to earn a peanut. The moves she made and the outlandish behaviors she offered had me :ROFL: ! Let's just say Mitsy leaps and sprints to the beat of a different drummer. :slapfloor: You know, she did run a really high temp a few months ago, 107 +. Wonder if... <g> well, here have a look for yourself. Is she a hoot or what?

Attached Files:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

lol.. weird goat!! :)

7. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT

Very cute! I must say you have a special lady on your hands and should work more with her on it!

8. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009

Wierd, indeed. But it's a nice wierd, and I guess indirectly I encourage it with the clicker training we do. She throws behaviors out there willy nilly in hopes one will "click" and set the peanut dispenser in motion. Anything for a peanut...<lol>

I wasn't in with Mitsy when she was offering the above behaviors. On those occassions, I just happened to look over into the goat yard as I was going about chores elsewhere. I had to grab my camera and go up to the gate to take pics of the Dogloo antics. I keep a clicker right there, attached to our targeting stick, but unless I'm specifically training, my hands are usually full. I do click w/my tongue but that doesn't carry very far when you're competing with hens clucking, roosters crowing, geese honking and ducks WACK, WACK, WACKING - everyone's yelling, "Lunch lady, feed us!" :)

Deb Mc

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Hehe....yep nice weird...and so cute...... :thumb: :greengrin:

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Ok.... Deb are you sure you have goats and not pups or children in goats clothing?

You have some crazy goats......and I mean that in a good way! How funny they are!

11. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Re: Somersaults PIC ADDED :)

Well, I got a pic. It didn't turn out very well. Mitsy was a good 60-70' away and I had the camera in action mode using the zoom feature - not a good mix. If you strain hard enough, you can see her head is on the ground and her butt is up in the air. I snapped the pic just as she started to flip over.

I think I figured out why she does it. It appears to be an unintentional consequence of trying to scratch the top of her head or possibly trying to cool herself off. The spot she exclusively does this in is shady and has powdery fine red dirt. The lil' monkey paws at the ground, places the top of her head on that spot of loose dirt and then smooshes it back and forth like she's trying to scratch an itch. Then over she goes. :laugh: Lil' ham. :ROFL:

Attached Files:

12. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    :ROFL:

I can definitely see her about ready to tumble over! Great pic!

13. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    That is amazing! What a silly goat :)

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow....what a silly girl.... :ROFL:

15. myfainters

myfainters New Member