Something horrible has happened and it breaks my heart.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Feb 18, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Hi, everyone something so horrible happened to my neighbor that it just kills my heart. My neighbor raised boer and fainters. She had some really nice goats, that she had put alot of money into. Her barn burnt down the other night. She lost about 22 goats in it she lost all her nannies. She had 11 baby boers that was about a month old in there, and 12 more nannies due March 1. She is totally devastated, and I feel so bad for her. It is so horrible that this has happened. She thinks a heat lamp started it.

Which scares me cause im using a heat lamp right now cause of my new babies. But I know things happen at times that we cant understand, but it is totally heart breaking. Just needed to get this off my chest it has really been bothering me. Thanks for listening.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh gosh! That is terrible. I will be praying for her.

I have a heat lamp, but I have it so that if the lamp was to fall it would pull the plug and unplug it. I also have it attached to the ceiling with a metal cable and eye hook.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    How devestating! I don't know what I would do if something like that happened here. My heart goes out to her :hug: ...

4. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Oh my goodness!!! I feel so sorry for her! I have NO CLUE what I would do if something like that happened at our farm... Tell her we will be keeping her in our thoughts :grouphug:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh how terrible :sigh: :tears: Did any goats survive the fire? oh my heart breaks for her :(

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    That is so terrible! My heart goes out to her. Don't know what else to say. *sniffle* I know how hard it is to lose one pet, but I couldn't imagine losing all of them at once.

7. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Oh my gosh- I cant even imagine. :(

We are really nervous about using heat lamps too. We actually just got Quartz overhead heaters for our kidding stalls. We suspended them from the ceiling with chains and eye hooks, they warm up much quicker and produce more heat than the heat lamps do. I think we got them from Home Depot for like $40 each?

8. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes all three of her bucks survived because they where in a different area then the does, and one wether, and she had two small fainter does that was seperated from them all cause they where so small. It is horrible and her heart is broken she said they where like her children cause she never had any. My heat lamp is also tied and hooked up good, which I had my husband recheck after all this went on. It still smells so bad down there is blows up the hill to my house. Its hard to go out in my back yard and see the shambles of the fire.

She tried to save them when she seen it was on fire, she ran down to the barn and grabed the door and threw it open, three does stumbled out, but they had to put them down cause they where in such bad shape. She did receive second degree burns on her hand from touching the door. She said the hardest part was when they went to burry them that the pregnant does had had their babies and they where laying beside them on the ground. My heart just hurts for her. I dont have but eight goats and probably not as near good of bloodlines as she had but I would be devastated.

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    What a sad tragedy. :tears:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH My goodness. I do not know what to say either other then how sorry I am. I could not imagine ether. That is just horrible. I know the lord does thing and has his plans but it is so hard to know why. We have to leave it in his hands and not ask why. But man that is hard.

I also do use heat lamps. I only use them for a day maybe two depending on the weather. I do not want my babies to get use to the heat lamps nad not learn to keep their own body temp regulated. I do understand that it only takes 5 minutes for a fire so one ort two nights it could still catch fire. I do have it high enough that no one can touch it and it really just helps take the chill off the air.

God bless her and please send her out regrets and prayers.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is devastating ...I feel so bad ..for your neighbor....... :(

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry for your neighbor and all of the animals. I don't know what I would do. That is one reason I hate stalling my animals. I have the bucks stalled, but if there was a fire, all my girls can get out. That has always been a fear of mine

You all will be in my thoughts

13. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I am so sorry to hear about this devastating loss. I just can't imagine how terrible such a loss would be for your friend.

14. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I also use heat lamps for my kids, but I have heard of similar tragedies before so I secure the heat lamps with baling wire to the stalls and have a grate cover over the bulb to make it as safe as possible.

I am so sorry for your neighbor, I can't even imagine.

All of us that use heat lamps should take this opportunity to check how safe and secure they are.

Denise

15. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    That is just awful.. That happened to a neighbor of ours when I was growing up ( about 20 years ago) but in their case it was arson..They lost everything..Horses, cows chickens, cats..just devestating. Please let your freind know she is in my thoughts!

Jennah

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thats is so sad.. we knew of some people who had that happen because of heat lamps too, very sad.
    One day we went to the barn to do chores and found part of the cable strip melted, we bought a new one and set everything up different so it can't happen again, Denise is right, everyone should make sure their heat lamps can't cause any damage.

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How horrible! My thots and prayers are with your friend, such a tragedy :hug:

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    oh I'm so sorry :(

19. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh that is just so so sad. :tears: That makes me sick just thinking about it. I sure hope she can get through this and doesn't want to just get out of goats altogether because of this. That is really to bad, my heart goes out to her and I sure hope she can recover quickly from this tragic experience.

20. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    Tell her that we are all thinking of her.
    At a barn I use to vollunteer at they had a barn fire. The whole thing was in flames in like 20 mins. Luckily they had someone living in the barn appartment and she heard the smoke alarms go off. It was caused by a heat lamp also.

If you ever have a barn fire you can not get the aninimals out alone you NEED help if you can get it!You can not battle one alone!
    I hate useing heat lamps. I would rather bring the mom and babies into the seller then have to use a heat lamp.

Yes everyone please check your heat lamps. One thing all animal owners should have is to have a plan incase it dose happen. Have a plan to call the fire department and call someone close that is willing to help you . And how to go about getting your animals out. It wouldent even hert to practice it. so you know about how long it will take and so you are prepared.