Something I have noticed-possible way to tell if pregnant?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kelebek, Feb 16, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok - ever since we built the new feeders, I have noticed something with my minis and thought that I would share / ask if anyone else has thought about this.

We built the new feeders which mean that the minis have to get onto their back hooves and put front hooves up on the feeders - ok no big deal - till I was uploading pics the other day and noticed something.

Now, I have no "scientific proof" yet, but I think that I may have stumbled onto something and if anyone else has noticed this or can disprove it before I can confirm/deny the ligitimacy of it, please let me know.

So I was looking at my pics on photobucket and noticed this -

[​IMG]

Trinity's side look a little poofy - ok no biggy - she is barely pregnant in this pic, yet when she is on all 4's she is flat as a board on the sides.

Then I took this one the other day -

[​IMG]

Her belly is huge - yet again, when she is on all 4's she is "fluffy" but no sides sticking out. She is 3 months in this picture.

So then I had a pic of Dobie, who is not confirmed pregnant and if she is, she could be no more then 3 weeks pregnant..... notice NO budging at the tummy line....

[​IMG]

Then there is Jewelz - who is due about 2 weeks after Trinity -

[​IMG]

Could all this be coincidence?

I also looked back at Ginger - she was confirmed pregnant but absorbed. Her tummy pics were the same way, then she got slimmer, now she is starting to grow again and she would be 30 days pregnant this week.........

Anyone else ever notice this?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    You may be on to something. It would probably depend though on how much they ate the night before or before the pic was taken etc. But yeah, geesh, good eye Allison. I really would love to hear what other people think about this. Good post! :thumb:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have had non preggy girls look preggy by standing on their hind legs. :shrug:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    thanks stacey - that is exactly the kind of input I am looking for. I am pregnancy testing Dobie in a week and a half so I will know for sure.

The girls get the same amount of hay put out twice a day, same cutting, from same hay guy. The pics are always taken right when i put hay out.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do think it helps to see how deep bodied they are. The more they stick out when standing on their hind legs the deeper they are. I have seen goats that look skinny suddenly look fat (just like yours) either when pregnant or open. You have some nice deep does :thumb: (which I guess is technically called "body capacity" ;)

6. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    Mine ALL look like that standing on their hind legs hehe...even my bucks.

7. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Sign of a good rumen here is jewel actively nursing triplets that are 6 weeks old.

Attached Files:

8. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I've been wondering if the 'stretch' is another way to tell if they are pregnant or not. Do you know which stretch I mean? Where they stretch out the hind legs and kinda lean forward and arch the back inward? They do this while keeping the back legs together, and I've noticed my pregnant does doing it quite frequently, even before they have an udder. I read that in the latter part of pregnancy it's to maneuver the babies into position for birth, but perhaps they do it earlier on due to kicking babies or stretching ligaments, etc. Here's a 'rough' pic of what it looks like. I have one doe that just started doing it, and i thinkkkkkk she just might be preg for the first time! She's never did this before, and any does I have that ARE NOT pregnant don't do it. What do you think?

[​IMG]

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I was noticing that all my preggy girls HATE their teats touched, even the ones that didn't mind it before I bred them. My LaMancha could have cared less before I bred her about her teats being played with. Now I even look at them and she moves away. Anyone Noticed this?

10. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    DEFINITELYYYYYYYYYYY! Cinnamon and Hallie, plus several of my others, didn't seem to mind much, but now that they are pregnant, they can't stand it... Actually Hallie was grumpy enough (and Cinnamon still is) that they didn't want me touching tummies either!!!!!!!! As if I was going for the teats (which I did sometimes... lol of course!!!)

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Lyric is having the same problem. She's never been fond of her teats being messed with but she was great with me rubbing on her belly and now she won't even let me touch it at all! Although Heidi didn't like her teats being messed with before and now she likes it. :roll:

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ugh its so frustrating! Lola is so super sensitive we have a little dance on the milking stand!

Now Angie too -- she was great before and now she jumps away from me. So yah I have noticed that too

13. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I wish I could put my :2cents: in on this... but my girls never really stood up on anything very much for me to notice a difference :shrug: I do see what you are talking about in those pics though and it makes me REALLY curious :scratch: :idea: :greengrin: Definitely let us know when the pregnancy tests come back!

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have Snow - who was a milker last year and did wonderful. Havd no problem with me touching her since she came to live with me last August, however, in the last couple weeks (just over 100 days gestation) she has become a booger about the touching of the udder and was actually jumping and cow kicking at me while eating grain this weekend - little booger!!!!!!

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If you think about it, it makes sense for them to get like that about their udder. They don't need anyone else stealing their kids milk, including last years kids.

16. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh yes, I have noticed sensitive teats and udders also. All my bred does are jumpy and kick at ya when you do that, even my experienced, docile milkers.