Something I never thought would happen ... happened twice!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Mar 14, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yesterday I went to move the angora babies to a different paddock. I was looking at Duskay and thinking why is she walking around with her mouth open?

Well I caught her, and turns out she'd been scratching her neck/chest area, and a piece of mohair had got caught on her tooth! Pulling her bottom jaw down.

Poor little girl, I unhooked it and moved them.

Last night, about 11pm I was just about to go to bed and mum says, maybe you should go check there's been someone crying out since 7pm. I thought it was just Pride who got moved into the bachelor pad. But mum said it sounds like its coming from a paddock further out.

So I went out there, and Duskany had mohair caught on her tooth AGAIN! This time she was stuck with her head down and twisted round. She screamed blue murder when I grabbed her and unhooked her tooth, she'd pulled so hard it was loose and bleeding.

:sigh: Poor little baby.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ouch!!! Poor thing. I don't have fiber goats, but I do have teeth and I can imagine how much that must of hurt.

Give her a big old :hug: for me.

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Imagine if she had Braces!!! poor little thing

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    well since she's not very friendly I dont think she'd appreciate the hug! lol but I will give her some extra food from you. I'm feeding her warm bran mash with molasses and lucerne teas, because her mouth is so sore she's not very happy to eat the hay and pellets

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :ROFL: :ROFL: OK, Extra food will work. :slapfloor:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Keren, I do hear about that a lot. I was shocked when I was at a show and I was looking at this doe. I could not figure out what was wrong. She was missing teeth. I asked what happened and she said the same thing. The mohair got stuck and she tried to run and it pulled the tooth right out. Poor thing

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yeah, I'd heard someone say it before but never really thought it would be that common. Just a freak once off thing. Well, somehow this little girl managed to do it TWICE within about four hours :shocked:

Thank god she didnt pull her tooth out ... besides which they are still the milk teeth anyway

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Ouch! I had thought of getting fiber goats for both milk and hair, but I'm glad I didn't get one. That is terrible! I hope she turns out okay. Is there any way to kindof muzzle her? Not the kind that would hold her mouth shut, but maybe to keep her from scratching herself with her teeth? That way she could still drink if she needed.

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I dont think that wouldnt be all that practical ... cos she wouldnt be able to eat ... besides which she needs to be allowed to groom herself

but it hasnt happened again :) I think just a freak accident and I/she was very unlucky for it to happen twice

btw, dont let this put you off fibre goats! I have milked some of my angoras several times and YUM! The milk is beautiful, if you dont need too much of it, an angora can still be a good milking goat.