The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Absolute worse week for this to happen. I am about to lose it...

I was waiting to get a dog from someone to care for overnight(different story) I looked out the window and saw the horse biting anime. I moved him and left. Then I saw Meredith ramming her again and again not putting up a fight. She was acting fairly normal at this point still, just not putting up a fight or avoiding things that should be hurting her. Then I saw her standing in the electric fence(it's off)still being hit by Meredith and I went and noticed she was chewing air. I checked her mouth and moved her into the other pasture and she was eating mouth fulls of dirt! She picked up a fairly large rock and ate it! I moved her out into the yard. I gave her a big huge dose of B-complex(B1) and now I have no idea what to do. Her pupils are very large. She is not responding. She is licking the fence, eating the fence, and itching herself. Eating the ground. Nonstop. This has been going on a LONG 3 hours now. The only thing I have done or changed in the last 2 days, is that I pulled her buckling off. She is a big producer and lost a bit of weight feeding him. He is 7 weeks so I pulled him off. I did let him drink this morning after a 12 no milking/drinking period. I also opened up the fence to one pasture spring pasture with grasses and weeds(I checked and found nothing harmful)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
There is full treatment info in the article I linked. Do you have a vet that you can get dexamethasone from?

That's good her temp is normal. Is she drinking?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Oh that sounds like when Gizmo and Destiny got polio. You got to work hard and follow a strict regime of meds. Dont let up and cry when they do weird things. But dont give up. She can pull through.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, that was a very strange experience.

I went over everything last night. First thing I did before all else was dose her with a big dose of B-complex in case it was Polio/Listeriosis. Whenever I think of neurological issues in goats that would be the first thing I treat. I did give her a dose of LA 200 last night. It is all I had and if it was listeriosis I didn't want to wait 10 hours to get penG. Temp stayed normal overnight. I gave her an anti-inflammatory/Pain killer. I also gave her small doses of the Bcomplex every couple hours.

As of this morning, she is acting almost entirely normal. She responded to her name(something she has done for 5 years, she didn't last night). She was not eating, and was "there". She followed me and bleated to her kid. He eyes look mostly normal. She ate a handful of grain and asked to go back into the pasture. The fact that she is acting normal is even more baffling to me. I have never seen listeriosis or polio change that quickly. Maybe I just caught it REALLY early i guess. I was just super scared last night. It really shocked me. I am keeping a very close eye on her today and will still dose with Bcomplex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts