Something is wrong with Trax- help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by heathersboers, Nov 26, 2008.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    OK -Trax is our 300 lb boer buck-he had pneumonia about 2 months ago-and we called the vet out.. he was fine yesterday, but now is moping around the pen,and acting like it hurts to walk- I checked his feet-they look fine-no temp,runny nose or eyes. He has no appetite and wants to lay around- I think I am going to hit him with some thiamine and banamine tomorrow if he isn't acting better. Any thoughts or ideas???

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If it hurts for him to walk then the first thing that comes to mind is founder. I would give him banamine right away. I don't really have much experience with founder though. I haven't had any goats with it yet.

Are his feet warm at all?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He is clear of a temp ,runny nose or eyes.
    he may have a tummy ache ....and just doesn't want to move...give him probiotic paste and baking soda........for 3 days :)

Have you been graining him alot...stop the grain until he is better.....

4. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Toth- we have been giving him regular pellets with a little corn in it-we are feeding peanut hay and he is enjoying the mess out of it.
    Runaround-His feet feel fine-they were horrible when we got him-thats why he will not show-his toes have always been splayed and he fights me to cut them-they sorta roll under at the heels--he just doesn't want me near him-he looks so depressed.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sometimes ...their ruminant... gets a little off........ try....the probiotic paste and baking soda...you should know by tomorrow...... if he is better...it is only a tummy ache....

6. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I sure will Toth and thanks-we already have spent a fortune in vet bills and can't afford another- I will though if I have too- Our whole breeding program is based on Trax, and he is one of the family-I would hate to see my hubby cry if something happened to him. I sure hope its only a tummy ache!

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I too would lay off the grain for a bit.

Still might give some banamine to help with the tummy ache or whatever is hurting him.

8. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thanks RunAround- I believe in that stuff with a passion!!! I hope he is OK until tomorrow morning when I get to the farm,

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    heathersboers....I sure hope it is a tummy ache to.........some of the goats ...here and there... get tummy aches....if there is no fever or if they don't have things draining out of places.ect........then I treat it as a tummy ache ...... if I treat it..... in the morning ........by evening ........they start eating and feeling better ................good luck ...... :pray:

10. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Hold on for a sec. I did notice a little of his poo was darker than usual and not as firm-does that mean anything???

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We had a lot of rain last week and he was wormed with cydectin 2 weeks ago-so I don't think its worms-will corrid hurt him if it isn't cocci?? Would cocci hit him that fast as old as he is?? He is beside the pen that Pride was in when he got cocci last month. Uh-Oh :scratch:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    no corrid will not hurt him........If I have a kid or adult that will not stop with giving them the basic's.......... then I do give them corrid ....even if it is bright green.....
    that's for cases that will not stop even when I give them pepto ect....
    corrid stops scours real fast......

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    it could also be that he has eaten something - as in a weed or similar - that has disagreed with him.

Also - just a routine check with males that are sick - is he peeing?

I am praying that it isnt something bad for you ... good luck

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    corid wont hurt him.

I have found that there is no "set rules" for how cocci is expressed in an animal.

If you had cocci at your place and he has loose stools treating for cocci would be one of my first choices.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How is ...Trax doing today?

17. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    he is better, but still moping a little- I think it was a tummy ache after all- he is eating and drinking now.

18. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I'm glad Trax is feeling better!

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So glad I could help...and he is feeling better.... :thumbup:

20. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thanks toth!! thats why I love The goat Spot- everyone is so helpful! :dance: