The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have noticed lately that our goats are getting too skinny... Today we noticed that several have small patches of hair missing, including one of the buckings. We have no idea what is going on, please help!

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
I agree with NyGoatMom..check closley see if you see lice...you wont be able to see mites..but you will see indications..such as dry scaly skin..small sores..scratching...bald spots from the scratching..either bug and Ivomec will take careof them..1 c per 40# sub Q , once a week for 3 weeks ..
I would also have a fecal done..see the worm load...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So we had one goat with a few lumps on her and one with Nd open sore on her jaw...then my mom said she had noticed yet another one with a swollen jaw. On top of everything else we are now extremely worried on phones the vet, he think it might be CL in our herd. The worst thing that could happen:(

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
Sounds like it will be best to have the vet look them over and give his diagnosis. Sometimes we just can't properly treat things over the internet.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Im sorry...depending on what you want to do..some choose to treat the CL and clean the property..it can take a few years to clean CL off your property and herd..others choose to cull infected animals...you still have to clean the property...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have the Vet coming out tomorrow to do some tests, until then we will hope for the best. Will let you guys know.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
best wishes

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vet said that he is almost positive it is CL...he took a sample which has to be sent away to confirm. But it doesn't look good.
Now we are trying to decide what to do...either cull our herd of 25, or try to treat them and just live with it. Hard choice as we know there is no "cure" and it will never go away, but they are al our pets:(

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Im sorry... CL is a huge pain...We had CL our first goat year..took a few years and a ton of work..but we got rid of it....if you choose to deal with it..I can share how we did it ...;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts