The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone: So....I have been trying to find Tylan 200. However tractor supply near me hasn't been able to get it since Feb I guess. GRRR. I really don't want to take my doe to the vet. She is pregnant and has a cough. I have been treating with garlic but it hasn't gone away....still continues. Any ideas? I don't think there is anything else other than Tylan 200 I could get without a perscription. What do you guys do? I just am trying not to have another vet bill if possible. Thank you in advance for your answers.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Hi Everyone: So....I have been trying to find Tylan 200. However tractor supply near me hasn't been able to get it since Feb I guess. GRRR. I really don't want to take my doe to the vet. She is pregnant and has a cough. I have been treating with garlic but it hasn't gone away....still continues. Any ideas? I don't think there is anything else other than Tylan 200 I could get without a perscription. What do you guys do? I just am trying not to have another vet bill if possible. Thank you in advance for your answers.
Does she have a fever? Raspy breathing? Just the cough? If she truly needs an antibiotic will the vet let you just come get the doseage? Some people on here have used robitussin @Moers kiko boars can help you.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Hi..is it a dry cough? Does her nose have a clear or any discharge? Whats her temp? How long has she had the cough? When was he last fecal? What were the results? Whats her famacha score? Have you moved her? Changed her feed or hay?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello sfgwife:
No I don't think she has a fever. She seems fine other than this cough. It is a wet cough. We have been treating with vetrx which helps but it isn't gone completely. No vet near me will let me pick up a antibiotic without seeing her first. It is crazy cause I know this is what she probably needs.

I did have her tested for lungworm too. Negative.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Moers kiko:
It isn't a dry cough. I took her to get bred in Jan...she was at their farm for over a month and came home with a cough. Her fecals were fine since then. Also we don't think she has a temp. I can take that today. But other than her cough she seems normal. So she has had the cough since the month of Feb.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
She sounds like she may have pneumonia of some sort.

Do you know of anyone who has Nuflor RX or another strong RX antibiotic? Which is safe for preggo goats.
If not, you may need a vet.
I hate to say.

Oxytetracycline should not be used on preggo's.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I am thinking the same thing Pam. Thanks for your thoughts on this. I am going to watch her today and if she isn't turning a corner with the cough I will call the vet. Thank you! Just wasn't sure if there was something people were able to get without a vet rx. But I didn't think there was....and tylan 200 isn't available.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
ANOTHER QUESTION:
I have some Nuflor that I have had since October 2019. I am wondering if it is FOR SURE bad and I can't use it or could I use it? It was drawn up into syringes and given to me for another animal I had that was sick back in Oct. Looks like I have a total of three 7 ml syringes of Nuflor.

Is this still useable? And is Nuflor OK for pregnant does??
Then the last question....would 21 ml be enough to treat her?

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ok....the med came from a vial the vet had at their office....so I have no idea to know for sure when it expires.
They always put the expiration on the container they send the drawn up med with...exp is like 30 days from when they draw it up.

But then I wonder.....um ok well the med itself isn't probably expired. Right? That is just a way for them to get me to have to bring back my animals if I don't use the med. Am I right in thinking this??

So I am not sure that this med is really expired. When a person has a vial of med it usually has a year expiration on it correct?

So what I am thinking is.....does it hurt to give a animal a expired med to try it? If so then I won't do that. But if it doesn't hurt to give the med to her and it works because it isn't expired (not knowing when the vet's vial of Nuflor expires) then that would be great.

What do you all think?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts