The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Breeding Dual Registered American Oberhasli For Da
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few weeks I have read stories of some difficult, and sometimes tragic births. I would like to share something that we have found helpful. Hopefully this will help someone else with smooth kidding in the future. What we use is dried raspberry leaf. You give two TBS every day per doe for as much as two weeks from due date to the time she kids. My dairy girls have all had nine-10# babies this year (a single, 10#s, twins, nine-10#s each, and triplets, nine, nine and a half and 10#s each and all in perfect position). These girls have delivered unassisted in a very short amount of time. Nothing is guarantied, however this has proven helpful for us. To future happy kiddings!

P.S Ladies, this also works for humans to!;)

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Wondering the same as well.

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had this recommended to us by another goat farm when we were starting out. This is a centuries old herbal remedy commonly used in midwifery. We've used it on our goats and so far we have had good success. Like I said, nothing is guaranteed.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Wow I may have to try this out :)

·
14,456 Posts
I just want to point out that good loose minerals with high copper levels is very important, as well as proper ca/ phos ratio for ease of kidding.
Not disputing the use of raspberry leaf.

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We grow raspberries, can it be your own leaves dried and ground? or do you have to buy them.
Sure, go ahead and dry your own leaves.

·
Alpine Addict!
2,072 Posts
Wow, great post! :D Thanks so much for sharing :) Another thing that I've found (and many other people say) works well is Apple Cider Vinegar-1 TBS per day, four days a week the last month before kidding. Works wonders for small first timers! (I speak from experience, LOL. Obey the master! :D :D )

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Would this be the same as the hot diet supplement Raspberry ketones? Can pick up tablets at just about any drug store. Just wondering if it would be the same thing. With 40 does set to kid, no way we could do the whole dried leaf thing to give it a try.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,911 Posts
Cool! Will have to try that! Onion Creek, I love your avatar, absolutely LOVE it! Beautiful picture!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.