Something Wrong with my goat - is she ok????

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dbnelson9802, Jan 21, 2011.

1. dbnelson9802

dbnelson9802 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Hello - I am new to the forum but have a question concerning my 3 year old nubian doe. She last kidded January of 2010. She has been exposed to a buck Since about November 15th 2010 although I am not sure if he has done the job. Prior to that she was exposed to an American Blackbelly Sheep, a ram for some time although they were seperated at night and I seperated them as soon as I saw if following her and my other does around. I have read they can breed a nubian goat although the result is a miscarriage about halfway through the pregnancy. I have not seen anything in my holding pen that looks like a miscarriage occured. Also, i have been feeding the doe with three year old does and the buck. I noticed she would quit eating almost right away - maybe irritated with the others. I have been feeding her by herslef for the last week or two. Well about a month ago she started having her back end be wet including the tail. It is not from the water - it is like drenched/sticky. Not bloody - although there was a little blood at first. It is some sort of discharge. Other than that she seems like her normal friendly self. Also - i have let the sheep and goats together over the last few days under my supervision and the blackbelly ram catches a scent or something and follows her around - anyway - any thoughts? Unlikely to be pregnant by the buck? illness? Any thing will help, thank you! Please also let me know if there are additional symptoms I should check for. Thanks!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would have to say that if she doesn't have a temperature( rectal temp higher than 103.5) not acting "off", and doesn't have a foul smell associated with the discharge that between the buck and the ram, both are mounting her.

I would suggest however, separating the buck from the does because if they are indeed pregnant, he will be confused by the pregnancy hormones and think they are in heat, causing him to stress the does by wanting to breed, which may cause miscarriages.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well she may have aborted when you saw the discharge (early on you dont see much but some spotting of blood)

I wouldnt let the ram in with her since he obviously is interested but it only will end up bad if he does breed her.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...with the others...

5. dbnelson9802

dbnelson9802 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thank you all for your replys so far. If she is pregnant, do you think the wetness will last throughout the pregnancy if she is pregnant? Or if it is from a miscarriage will that go away soon? I plan to take her temperature today and post it if anything is abnormal.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It may be from the miscarriage.....it's just like after kidding they clean out for a couple of weeks or so... :(