The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder how long I'm going to do this...I'm still having fun...don't think I'll give it up soon...but I am 60 after all. But, I love my goats and it keeps me busy. I wonder sometimes, what I'd do if I didn't have to feed/water/clean/truck in hay/ etc.

Sorry, yesterday was cold/rainy/windy, and my arthritis was acting up.

So, how old are you and when do you think you will quit?

·
312 Posts
I'm pushing 50 and I'm bringing home my first goats next week.
Quit? Hmmm I'll admit I've already had my doubts. That's something I hope all new owners have, doubts. Will I keep them past a year? What will the first winter be like? The first deliveries? Will I be able to sell babies? I figure I'm in it for at least (the VERY least) five years as long as things don't go catastrophic on me.
Breeding, feeding, training to a cart. I have plans. Quit? I don't know. I'm pushing 50 and I'm bring home my first goats next week…

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I was 53 when I got my first goats. I was 2 years into a total rehab of a 100+ yo house. lol. I had a lot more energy in my early 50's! Well, the rehab is almost done (will somebody PLEASE teach me how to cut crown molding?). The goats are all producing and DH is working on the landscaping in the front of the house. OMgosh, will the WORK ever be done? No!

·
Banned
984 Posts
Well Im 28 an have only been in goats off an on for the last few years. I have no plans to quit until I do tire of it or decided Im wasting more money than Im making. Right now Im spending money hand over fist in stead of making money hand over fist. Im trying for the latter lol.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I make enough to support them...mostly thru kid sales. And, of course, we love the milk for ourselves. I have lots of folks that want to buy milk...but...I've been to "weany" to sell milk...I would just sell it with a "for pets only" sticker on it. We will see about that as my Alpine mix does begin producing.

·
14,456 Posts
Erik I bet you'l do great. The first few years are the hardest I think, because you're investing in equipment that either you really dont need or make simple mistakes like putting up rolls of welded wire.
Then the fun part of getting to know them.

Quit? What's that? I cant imagine not waking up having to get out for chores. Then again I too notice this body of 62 doesnt have the zip it did either only a few years ago.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
i'm 29 and had goats since last Aug. i'm addicted, so i'm really not sure if i'll ever quit. it's hard and time consuming, but so fun at the same time!!!

·
1,524 Posts
I'm 57, live alone and do all my own chores, maintenance, everything that needs to be done (including re-roofing my old NE farmhouse). I also work full time.

I have had goats since 1982. I will have them until the day I die. I currently have 10 milkers, young stock and 2 bucks, horses, dogs, poultry and a cat.:eek:

·
Administrator
84,825 Posts
The rule of thumb is, your never to old, however, when you cannot care for the goats anymore yourself, cause of aching bones ect and all ,that come with it, it is time to quit.
Unless,:D you want to hire someone to do the shots, trimming ect, LOL

So, I really can't say how long, I will carry on with them, I am 51 now, so, we will just have to see.;)

·
Super Moderator
31,769 Posts
I will be 50 in August...and I think Im just getting started..I feel better now then when I was younger...change of life style made a huge difference with me..but the day I can not give quality care is the day I find new homes for them....but for now...just warming up...

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,911 Posts
Guess how old I am, hehehehe!! I love making people guess!
I've had goats for let's see, 3 1/2 years. And I can't imagine stopping before I am physically unable to care for the goats.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well folks I am just getting started. I have two ND and three more coming in a couple of weeks. I have twenty chickens and two guiena hens, four ducks and four rabbits. Don't know what I will get next haven't decided. Oh by the way I am 71 so I guess I am the grandma of you all. lol

·
Registered
272 Posts
My husband worries in a few years when he 'retires' from work, how we would do all the traveling we have always talked about doing...if we still have our goats. I figured we could always find someone to board them. This is one reasons I try to keep only a herd of 5... This morning, while hiking, I thought about keeping more goats once we decided we had done enough traveling and would just like to settle down. ;) I think it is good to have our farm chores...they keep us going and moving, rather than just sitting around doing nothing (for some people it may be, I think). They actually keep us stronger...lifting the 50 lb bag of feed, fighting the goats to trim their hooves, hauling water to keep in shape, cleaning the barn instead of the house...having a reason to still get up early everyday.... :)

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,911 Posts
A million?
You really know how to avoid a trap, don't you? LOL! Not sure if that is a compliment or not...

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have noticed recently, that more men want to help me! lol I'm shopping at Tractor Supply and I'm loading some feed on the cart, and sometimes it's a store clerk, sometimes just another shopper will say "would you like help with that?" Wow, really? I usually say, "that's ok, I'm stronger then I look". But, lately, I've been letting them help...the employees anyway...I still wrestle it out of the truck and into the "cans" when I get home, so why not accept help at the store.

I figure, as long as I can lift the 50lb bags, I'm good. Have you older gals noticed some of these younger people who don't do physical work are so "wimpy", I mean, no muscle tone at all? Sometimes I wonder if these folks ever lift anything heavier then a grocery bag? Or a cell phone!

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL, I did ask a mother the other day if I could borrow her young son for a minute (probably 12-13, but tall), I said "would you reach that for me, please"? And, I did ask a young man to "bring your young eyes over here and read this to me, please", lol.

Usually, if someone helps me out...I say..."there you did your good deed for the day!"

·
826 Posts
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I'm in this for a while. I've had goats since is was nine, and I picture myself as a very old woman with a pair of mini wethers or does that are simple and easy to care for...don't think I will ever be without goats for long!

·
Super Moderator
31,769 Posts
Di that is so funny...My mom was one of the first female Truck drivers in our area...lol...I dont think she ever had to throw her own tarps on lol,..when I was growing up I was all but 98 pounds at 16 wearing a size 3!!!...wimpy..yes..very wimpy!!. My two younger daughters now 16 and 13 are 140# and 120#..not an ounce of fat or wimpy on them...farm work has built me some strong kids..my 14 year old son can throw two 50# feed bags on his shoulder and carry them to the barn, toss them in the barel with out breaking a sweat!!! and he is not a big kid..tall yes..but built very lean..so different from the marshmallow bodies running around the city lol...I think they are proud of that...we call it farmarobics : ) our own personal gym....I am so much stronger now then in my 20's..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.