soo sick right now

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by SDK, Jul 15, 2008.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    one of my does has gotten mastitis. it's the first time for me ever dealing with it. got her on a penicillin regime along with me massaging it and milking. i barfed, really. :sick: it was so gross and i feel so bad for birdie, she's on feed still and is almost dry. what made me sick was milking it out, it felt like i was milking crinkle paper and that combine with the nasty stuff coming out made me sick. i hope she's still got a functioning udder after this. i just found out that ndga nationals are here in CA next year and I WILL NOT MISS IT! maybe she'll give me a few :girl: :girl: this next kidding.

2. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    lol.. if you havent ever had mastitis yourself.. youll be sick if you get it.. it kills. im pretty sure her udder will still function.. im not into dairy goats.. but i know with other animals and even when our boer got it, the udder was fine after.. lucky you have been there to milk her out. make sure you massage the udder to.. good luck..

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Somebody said you should feed the doe her milk in a drench gun. I'm so sorry for your doe (and you)...it even sounds like the treatment is awful. :hug:

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    what! that's so gross. i'm pretty sure if i drenched it to her, we'd both end up puking! :sick:
    i mean the mastitis has gotten huge and it fills her right half of the udder up about a 1/4 full and the left only a little bit. its so horrible.

after i found out about this. i found that one of my boer does has a precocious udder and she's only 6 months! and our market wethers have been getting pudgy along with my sister's nigerian jr doe and i have two does that are supposed to be pregnant but the one drives me crazy because i can't tell. it's like everything decided to happen at once.!!! why me!

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I am SO SORRY for you. Hope things get better soon!! It sounds like you're doing your very best with it all. . . .

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Seriously, feed her milk back to her. It has antibodies in it that will help her get better. I've done this for a couple does and it does work.

Are you into homeopathics at all? If you are, describe her milk color, texture, smell etc and the doe's personality. I may be able to prescribe something to help her.

I have a doe that gets recurring mastitis and I tried to treat her with penicillin for it once, the next time she got mastitis, she was way sicker than she was before, so I don't use pen. anymore unless I have to. Just my .02 cents.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i figured that was why, it's still uber disgusting.

im so so for homeopathic but what i've been milking out is mostly white tissue type stuff and a little bit of blood, not alot and a yellow-clear fluid, her left side is more milky fluid and the tissue..
    attitude is totally normal as is eating, the fluid doesn't smell either

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm looking in my books now, I need to know a few more things.

Temp?

Is the udder hot or hard? Or does she just have edema?

Does it hurt her, or does she show signs of pain?

When did she kid, and how long is she into lactation? She was not actively milked right?

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Also, is the milk watery or of 'creamy' consistency?

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    temp is normal
    it's not hot, just hard and its only hard in the top half of her udder
    it only seems to hurt her when i massage/milk her

she kidded april 8 and i just recently got into getting her dry, which she almost was when this happened
    and its a watery consistency

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    she's stopped having the chunky tissue but it seems to be getting bloodier

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Because of the blood and no heat, is it possible she may have injured her udder? Like slipping on something and falling on her belly? In that case she will need Arnica 30c three times a day for three days if you think it is from an injury. The hardness on the top of the udder, is it like an abscess?(I'm not implying that it is an abscess but sometimes they can get abscess type things higher up on their udder) Since she is acting as if she isn't in pain though it doesn't match.

Here is an excerpt, tell me if this is close:
    "Phytolacca: This is a very useful remedy both for the acute and chronic forms. Acute cases show clots in the milk while chronic ones show small clots in mid lactation, which is often referred to as sub-clinical. Suggested potency for acute cases one dose three times daily for three days followed by one daily for four days. Subl-clinical cases will possilby require one dose three times daily for seven days."

and from another book for supportive therapies:
    "1. Frequent stripping of affected quarters to remove abnormal milk.
    2. Fasting, reduce grain and many other high-protein or high-fat feeds until recovery.
    3. Dose with simillimum---the best matched homeopathic medicine.(sry, idk what simillimum is)
    4. Give antioxidants and probiotics at the first sign of inflammation. Examples of these are:
    a. Vitamin C, 5-25 grams twice a day for a full-size cow(about 2000-3000 for a nigerian, or 3000-4000 for a full sized goat, this book was written for cows)
    b. Vialbe acidphilus cultures
    c. B-complex vitamins
    d. Electrolytes if the cow will take them"

HTH

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    sounds like her. i've been giving her the probios and b vitamins and feeding some back to her, should i still do this?

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yes, I would still keep doing what you are doing in addition to whatever remedy you give her.