Soon to be goat owner in Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by thefreemanfarm, Apr 15, 2018.

1. thefreemanfarm

thefreemanfarm New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Minnesota
    I'll be picking up my 2 bottle doelings the first week in may. They will be 5 weeks at that time. They are nubian/alpine cross and cute as can be.

They have been disbudded and given cdt vaccine. I've got drench, minerals, baking soda, copper bolus, natural wormers and thermometer.

I have a few questions.

I've seen so many "grain" feeds from home mixes to pellet feeds. What is best mixes? Age and mixes matter?

What mix or hays/ grasses are best?

Still building goat shelter and I live in MN, do I need to have a floor on shelter? Or can I add platforms during cold weather to make for easier cleaning in summer months.

What is best bedding?

Any other tips/tricks I should know?

Thanks and I hope to learn much more here!

2. thefreemanfarm

thefreemanfarm New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Minnesota
    They came from a trio born on 4/5 and weighed 6.5lbs.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TGS and congrats! They are cute!

thefreemanfarm likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome, they are very cute. :)

thefreemanfarm likes this.
  5. Georgia Girl

Georgia Girl Member

May 18, 2018

6. Georgia Girl

Georgia Girl Member

May 18, 2018
    Purina goat grower 16% pellets, medicated until breeding age then, Purina dairy goat, I feed perennial peanut hay but it is expensive, some fed alfalfa but this gives mine diarrhea, hay needs to be of good quality, I think a dirt floor if it is kept dry is less smelly and easier to clean out with pine shavings and some soft hay/strawon top and something like pallets with a cover to prevent them from getting their legs in the holes to sleep on, chances are they will choose the floor,offer free minerals, of course their bottle feedings. copper bolus must weigh at least 25lbs. Just some things I have done, read alot, everyone has a way and just chose what you think best for your goats, they are so cute. As young as they are they are probably not going to eat that much, but do offer. Don't overfed grain and offer hay as much as they will eat.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    toth boer goats likes this.