Soon to kid? Or my imagination?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Epona142, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    When I fed Hope and Uno this morning, I noticed a difference in the area above the tail head on her. I've taken to doing what I hope is checking her ligaments every day, just for practice, and today it felt different. Right where the tail comes out it felt mushy.

Now, I have no earthly idea if I'm even checking the right place, not to mention the poor girl doesn't even look ready! I've heard of goats hiding babies in there, but so many of your goats got so huge, and while I can definitely tell there is a weight gain, if YOU look at the pictures you'd never know! They hardly show any belly at all. Her udder hasn't changed from what I can tell, and no discharge.

I would love to have kids right now, but at the same time, I kind of wanted her to hold off until after late September/early October because I have to go into the hospital for a few days around then and I really wanted to bottle feed one kid (if she had twins again.)

Just for info, the last time she was with a buck was in early May when I bought her.

Any comments would be appreciated, though I'm probably over-thinking all this! :scratch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See? She doesn't even look pregnant in the picture. :sigh:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    No, she doesn't look preggy but she is long in body, where you are/should be feeling ligaments is on either side of her tailbone inside the hipbones and just above the tailhead.....if you can feel a difference and have felt for kid movement (just in front of the udder and on her right) and have felt odd flutters there, she likely is bred and even going with the early May possibility she wouldn't be due until early October. The ligaments may not be as tense as they were but are still there, which may be why she has no udder and no change to her pooch, she still has a ways to go.

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you.

I think I am feeling the wrong place, I looked on fiascofarms.com again and double checked, so tomorrow I will try doing it the right way!

No changes in her, other than her increasing greediness! :)

I'm just so eager for kids I guess. :greengrin:

4. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    If she was last with a buck in May, October would be when she is due.
    As for hiding it, I have had a few that didnt show any weight increase and one that hid it so well, I had no clue she was PG till I found her kid one day running around, in and out of the shelter in January when snow was everywhere!

Ligs are easy. Feel along the side of the spine with 2 fingers, one on each side. As you approach the rump and toward the tail end you can feel two thick, straight, bands running in a V off the spine a few inches from the tail base. Practise now so you can tell the difference when she does have kids.

5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Boy I bet that was a surprise!

Tomorrow I will definitely look for the ligs, now that I have a better idea of where they are. Thanks. :hug: