Sore eyes

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CindyS, Jun 15, 2010.

1. CindyS

CindyS New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Most of my goats have runny eyes, none have shown any opaqueness i have been reading about as a symptom of pinkeye, most are just slightly red. I have one 3 month old buck that has kitty chunks around his eyes. what to do?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sometimes runny eyes can be from allergies or dusty hay, dirt blowing around etc...if all your goats have the runny eyes I would start them on Terramycin, this is put directly into the eye but is very pricey, another treatment just in case it is pinkeye would be to squirt LA200 or PenG into each eye and to wipe the eye daily with a warm wet cloth, and be sure to wash your hands before you touch anything as you can get it too.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz.... :thumb:

4. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Terramycin opthalmic is basically non-existant these days. If you don't already have a tube, don't bother looking -- you won't find it anywhere. I dunno what the deal is, but nobody's got it...not Jeffers, nor Valley, nor KV, nor TSC, nor any other place I've looked. It's just GONE, and there's no real alternative for it..

Something else you might look into is a product called "NFZ Puffer". It's highly soluble nitrofurazone powder that you basically "puff" directly into their eye.. And when I say "puff," I mean you direct a stream of bone-dry powder directly into their eye hole. Yeah...sounds rough.

Like said, though, it's extremely soluble. The powder itself will make them tear up, which will pretty much immediately dissolve the powder and distribute it around the eye extremely well.

I'd also highly recommend against shooting LA200 into their eye.. Indeed, I wouldn't even keep a bottle of LA200 in my cabinet, as it stings so bad they literally FREAK OUT when you use it. A guy told me that he had one "stroke out" after a shot of LA200 and DIE.. I didn't see it happen, so I can't verify, but it did all the things most people describe (run around screaming like they're on FIRE) and then BAM...it collapsed and died. Shock, I guess.

Anyway...definitely not something I'd want to shoot into their eye. I wouldn't even shoot BioMycin into their eye, and it's basically the same thing as LA200 but without so much sting..

Do look into the NFZ puffer, though.. You can usually get it at TSC in like a pint-sized bottle, which will last FOREVER.. It sounds a lot worse than it actually is, too. :)

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I've dropped straight Biomycin into affected eye, no problems. Pen G works well too, just a little, maybe a quarter cc of either.
    You can use human Terramycin for eyes from the drug store.
    Around here I dont fool around with eye problems. Meaning if they dont clear up in a few days of eye washes & terramycin eye ointnment they get an injection of BioMycin. Clears it up immediatly.

6. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    I've never been able to find any kind of OTC antibiotic eye ointment for humans.. So far as I know, there aren't any...and I've asked more than one pharmacist. :(

What exactly is the name of what you use, and where did you find it? If I could pick something up at the pharmacy, that would be GREAT.

Good to know about BioMycin in eyes, too.. I would be too chicken for that.. I've definitely heard of doing PenG in eyes, but I always had Terramycin anyway. Well, until recently.. Would definitely consider a PenG wash if NFZ didn't work, but when it comes to something as sensitie as eyes, I try to stick to something labeled for eyes if at all possible.

I won't even put Neosporin in eyes, though I know a ton of people do..

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Jeffers does have it...as does valley vet and my local TSC carries it as well.
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... 9VDLNU0DAF
    A few other online stores that have it as well.
    http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/19 ... REV080417E
    http://www.medi-vet.com/prod-Terramycin ... -1739.aspx?
    I also found an OTC human treatment for Pinkeye that is antibiotic free...says it's holistic so I'm not sure if it's something to consider for goaties.
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/ ... 37-product

8. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Look at your links again, really closely.. :)

Jeffers has it listed on indefinite backorder, and Valley marks it with **, which means they aren't taking orders on it. Revival (never used them) notes "Please call for availability"....I didn't call, but I'd be shocked if they had it. Medi-vet.com (never used them either) notes "LONG TERM BACKORDER" on the product page.. My local TSC also has a spot on the shelf for it...an empty spot...nothing's been in that spot for months now, though.

Nobody's got it anymore. Dunno why, but it's just not out there anymore.

As for the holistic drops...notes that it relieves *symptoms* of pinkeye. Doesn't actually treat or cure the illness itself.

It sucks, I know.. As aggravating as it was to spend $10 on a measly 3.5g of Terramycin ophthalmic, I do miss having it in the cabinet. Used to use it on a cat that gets eye weirdness from time to time, and it was helpful.. Feel kinda bad using NFZ on a kitty, even though it's actually labeled for cats and dogs. :(

9. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    None of those places actually has the ointment. I have an eye issue with one of my boys, he is currently isolated. We put LA 200 in his eye Sunday, plus a shot, and he didn't react with pain at all over either thing. Plus he is hugely improved. I didn't think about the pain part in the eyes, although I know it stings. FiasCo Farms web site says to do the shots and put it in the eye directly. I guess we will just finish with the shots and I won't put it in his eye again. I couldn't get BioMycin, it is on backorder at Jeffers, long term, they aren't letting people order it. (You can get it at Valleyvet, 250ML but not 100.)

10. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Oh crap...I saw that Jeffers ran out of the 100ml, and Valley was out.. That concerned me.. And now Jeffers is out of the 250ml! Not looking good......

Surely BioMycin's not about to disappear like Terramycin?!?!

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I see that now...sorry if I mislead anyone, it does stink that the one thing that truly worked for pinkeye isn't available, too bad the vaccine available for cattle wouldn't work for goats, then we wouldn;t need to worry about not being able to treat them for it.

12. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Just did a search to see if I could figure out what was going on with Bio-Mycin...found a cattle industry newsletter from 10/09 stating it was on backorder from the manufacturer with sporadic releases.. Just called my local Southern States, too.. They normally carry it, but they're out of the 100ml bottles already.

Levasole...Terramycin...now Bio-Mycin? CRAP CRAP CRAP.

As if raising goats isn't already difficult enough. :(

13. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Just called the other local Southern States...they have ZERO of any size. Just keeps getting better.. :(

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  15. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Wish I'd seen this a second ago..I could have asked. LOL

I was literally JUST on the phone with PBS asking if they had any Bio-Mycin 100ml vials...nope. They have the 250ml and 500ml, but no 100mls -- and their website will actually let you order it. Won't get it, of course, but you can order it. lol

If they've gone to the trouble of asking for calls on Terramycin...guarantee they don't have it.

I'm actually more worried about Bio-Mycin now! LOL

16. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Ok, well...this may explain some of it.

Wyeth owned Fort Dodge Animal Health... Pfizer recently purchased Wyeth and promptly sold a bunch of its animal health stuff to Boehringer Ingelheim..

B-I makes Bio-Mycin...Pfizer makes Terramycin.

I'm speculating, but I wouldn't doubt that what we're seeing in terms of product availability is related -- at least in part -- to a bunch of corporate restructuring and perhaps some bean counters going "Ok, we don't sell much of this...or this...or that....and the profits are low on this...and this..."

So on, so forth. :/

17. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Isn't Wyeth the company that uses PMU horses for hormone pills? I think they had something on Horseville about them...

Gina

18. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Had to google that...I'm not a horse guy, so I don't know much about that particular critter or any of the issues that surround them.

But, yeah...apparently Wyeth owned a company called Ayerst Organics Ltd., which produced pregnant mare's urine from which HRT's were made. Big hoopla over how the mares and foals were treated, etc.. Doesn't sound good. :(

19. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    No. Not good at all. The mares are kept preggo to produce the hormone and the foals used to go to the slaughter house by the trailer load. Now we don't have any slaughter houses in the US. :sigh: Also not good since they are shipped to Canada and Mexico. They don't care how they dispatch the animals.

We have had horses given away/abandoned/even dumped in state parks, pastures.
    We almost hit one that had been turned loose on the way to church. She was so skinny. Thank goodness she was nice and I could lead her to a cow pasture. I went and told the owners of the pasture and they called someone to report it.

BTW, I heard cod liver oil works for pink eye. Anyone heard of this?

20. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Now I'll probably get booted off of the board, but I have used Neosporin in my horses' eyes for years with no ill effects. I have also used it in two of my goats' eyes lately because they have had runny eyes (not pink eye) that I attribute to all of the gnats and flies. It doesn't burn, they don't mind, and the gel liquifies almost instantly. It clears up infected eyes with my horses within two applications, and contains neomycin (the same stuff found in the prescription eye drops) along with two other antibiotics. Kicks it good and quickly.
    I've also used it for myself for pinkeye. A doctor told me about it, along with mixing 50/50 rubbing alcohol and white vinegar for swimmer's ear. Told me it works better than prescription (ie expensive) ear drops. Both work great! :wink: