sore foot, hoof ok but smell between toes of doelings

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by zatsdeb, May 31, 2009.

1. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    I have 2 doelings, about 2 months old. about a week ago the one started limping, and we checked her, and neighbor who is very experienced checked her, no broken bones, everything seemed ok, we thought she may have fallen off something as they jump on everything, I did soak her foot, and clean it. she still is holding her foot up, now it is smelling and another doe is holding her back foot up and I checked her and it is smelling too, and both are red and irritated between the toes on the skin, hoof seems fine. I cleaned, dried, and put aloe med. on it. is there anyspecial med I should be putting on it? it is not hoof rot I don't think, the hoofs are fine.
    help!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Could be a fungal infection. The redness and smell on the skin and not the hoof is a red flag. Any type of antifungal used on a horse can be used on a goat.

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    We have 15 baby goats and only the 2 have the sore foot problem. we did have a lot of rain a while back, lots of flooding, do you think that may have contributed?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like hoof rot.........

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    it does sound like foot rot ... sorry I'm not sure what you treat it with. footrot is a notifiable disease here and a pita if you get it, you get quarrantined and such, so I've never had to deal with it

perhaps speak to your vet :greengrin:

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    This what I used on my doe who had hoof rot....
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... F6CD6REA77

I made sure to clean her hooves every day. I also kept her hooves trimmed down all the time until it was completely gone. She wasn't bad enough that she needed to be quarantined away from the other goats.

7. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    This is a timely discussion for me because I was trimming hoofs over the weekend and I noticed one of my does (out of 39) had just what you described. Hoofs were fine, but between her "toes" it was moist and smelly. I believe it is a yeast (fungal) infection from the odor. (I am a RN)
    The doe in question has no limp however so it might not be the same thing or your could just be more advanced?
    I am rubbing monastat between her toes a couple times a day. Hopefully it will work. Also I trimmed the hair around the area so it will get more air to dry up.

Denise

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Something else you could do is clean the area with Tea Tree Oil. It is a anti Fungal medication and it will help it heal pretty fast. Keep them in a place that they will stay dry. Clean it with Epson salt if that is all you have for now. Let it air out. But the best thing would be to use Tea Tree Oil and water.

9. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Do you use the Tea tree oil straight or dilute it in a carrier oil?

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I use it mixed with water. I would go about 1 part Tea Tree oil to 4 parts water on her hoofs.

11. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    i've started treatment with a foot rod med. hopefully it will do the trick. we did have a lot of rain a month or so ago, the entire barnyard was flooded, the goats stayed in the barn, but you know babies, they have to run and jump and play.
    I hope to have them feeling better soon.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad you are treating for hoof rot .....let us know how it goes....... :hug:

13. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    so... how long does it take before it is healed up? We have had goats for 4 years now and this is the first time we have had this problem
    by the way, this one of my little darlings with the sore foot. Daisy. she is boer.
    [​IMG]

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    AAAWWWW, Daisy is a darling. How cute is she!

15. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Oh my gosh she is the most adorable thing EVER! I'm still dealing with my does hoof rot but she had the actually hoof that was rotted. She came that way :roll: Darn wet NW weather! It's been 2 months and it's practically all grown out to new hoof. Yours should heal fairly fast since it sounds like it's only on the skin. Just make sure you clean really well in between the hoof walls too so that it doesn't spread and get worse.

16. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    When we have a very rainy spell in our area, we keep a good eye on the hooves and make the goats walk through a foot bath with strong bleach water. Use the generic bleach as this is chlorine bleach, Chlorox is not anymore. We make sure to trim up any pockets that may develope up the side of the hooves and clean well with soapy bleach water, rinse well, and apply coppertox to the area. Check well up between the hooves and look for puss pockets (I know, "ew gross!") and get a sharp object and open and drain these pockets. Rinse well with peroxide and apply strong iodine. Maybe give an injection of LA-200 as appropriate to body weight to fight any infection. Give the goats a dry place to stand and bed down and let their hooves dry out well. At one time we laid out some wooden pallets for them to get up on when the water got so deep we were planning our ark! We have clay soil, so the water will stand readily. Get them dry and keep their feet dry. Good luck, Fred V.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with bheila.....it sounds like you caught it early.....it shouldn't take long ....just keep an eye on it....keep it dry and put on the hoof rot meds.....do it until healed and the goats should be OK.... :hug: :wink: :greengrin:

18. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    its working!!!!! daisy is already putting her foot down, and so is my other girl, I called her daisy too cause I don't know which one I am getting to keep!!!

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hurray............... :leap: :leap: :leap: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo:
    great news......congrats......... :thumbup:

20. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    That's really good news :stars: I'm glad you caught it early :thumb: