Sore Mouth possibilities

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dragonfly farms, Feb 15, 2010.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    In 2006 when we started with goats, knowing nothing I took some home that were carrying the sore mouth problem. My buck had huge scabs covering his mouth and nose, he was a mess. After consulting the vet she had recommended two options, 1 shoot him and 2 treat him and disinfect the barn and yard as well as quarantine him. We went for option number 2.

We have not had another outbreak since then. Even with all the new goats and kids brought to the barn, nothing!

Last night I noticed 1 small bump on each of my month old babies! I just got them in the beginning of January. (I got mom, 2 doelings and a buck). They are housed in the pen that the buck was living in, but it is brand new (I highly doubt the disease was floating around in there). I did an exam on everyone when they arrived and did not see any sores on anyone at the time. (having this disease in the past, I try to be very cautious and noticeable of it now). I rechecked everyone last night and I have 1 bump on the nose of the buck, nothing on mom (need to check her udders today) and 1 on each of the kids. This kids is under their nose, so i was hoping that maybe it was runoff from there that has stuck (but me always fearing the worst is thinking its just orf) I have another buck in that pen and he is clean.

If they brought it onto the farm with them, where has it been hiding for 30 days? Even if mom was in day one of it, I think it would have shown it self way sooner then now, especially on the babies mouth!

well that is my crazy rambling, what do you think? I can get some pictures this morning if that would help.

I may be kissing the ground that all these new goats went into the buck pen instead of closer to the girls! I had an odd feeling about the guys these goats came from. They said they were new into goats, which I would say is true, they had ages all mixed up, could not tell the gender of the babies etc.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sore mouth is NASTY, and your buck that had it originally is now immune to it. Thats what happens...it's like chicken pox in people, once you have it you build immunity and won't get it again. Keep that doe and kids separate until you know for sure, there is a vaccine available that can be given to healthy goats to prevent it.

Hopefully this is nothing and you won't need to worry.

3. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I hope i am overreacting! The buck that is in with them now is not the originally affected one. I figured if he gets scabs then we have a problem for sure. I am going to attempt to stay positive that it is not orf!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sore mouth is like Liz said = chicken pox.

The thing with kids getting it though is they dont like to nurse and you may have to tube feed them.

I have heard you can put epsem salts on it (like soak it) and it helps to dry the scabs out.

The thing with sore mouth is that it stays in your soil so yes they could have gotten it from the pen your previously infected buck was in

5. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I am going to say it is sore mouth for sure, Petunia's udder is covered with scabs.

I dont think it was in the soil in the pen since no other goat that has been in there has been infected and the buck that had it years ago was not in the pen at the time he was contagious or even infected. The new pen came 3 years after his infection.

I am so glad that they have remained in that pen as opposed to the quarantine pen that is next to everyone else.
    ugh!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh see I didnt read that you got him in 2006 with the sore mouth :hammer:

yup keep all of them separate till its over. Really frustrating but at least you did have them separate instead of all in your herd

7. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    thats okay, my first post was king ranting and all over the place. . . I guess i am just in shock!

my hubby says to relax, we have gotten thru this once before without any prior knowledge so we should be great for this go round!

8. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    So is there any treatment for this problem. I am beginning to think that these are the marks on my does udder listed in Dairy Diaries. I have another doe that has developed these scabs on her mouth in the last week.

Evan

9. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    if sore mouth keeps recurring you can create your own vaccine.. we did for our sheep.we took some of the scabs off the lips and scratched the inside leg so they got it there and not all over the lips where they can affect the feeding area. (or if not the leg cuz of the udder the for arm..maybe)

10. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    There is no vaccine so to speak. The spots on the udder and mouth will look like small pustules. And spread from goat to goat like wildfire! (as well as humans, and dogs and any other animal in contact with the ooze). I would separate the ones that have it. Then all we do is let it run its course. When the scabs are gone we go in and disinfect the entire pen with bleach, destroy any hay on the ground etc. Since it is winter time, the reading i have done leads me to believe that any of the disease that is on the ground will not survive the frost/snow.
    As long as all animals continue to eat its not the end of the world, more of a pain to deal with!

We have now set in place these rules for the pen:
    -do this pen LAST
    -no equipment can leave the pen until it has been disinfected
    -wash hands as soon as inside
    -disinfect shoes upon exiting pen
    -no dogs allowed inside
    -most importantly, no goats in or out (which stinks, since it puts a halt on breeding!)