Sore Mouth Vaccine

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Perfect7, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    In addition to our rought start with pink eye, possible CL scare (negative), tapeworms/anemia death, bottle jaw, diarrhea, dehydration, pneumonia....we now have (drum roll) SORE MOUTH!
    I'm pretty sure it came in with the doe who had bottle jaw because I noticed when she came home her lips looked a bit wrinkled and dry but no scabs. She was clean when she came out of solitary.
    But, the two boer/kiko doelings she shares a feeding trough (not intentional but she works her way in) with both got pinkish looking lips so I locked them up three days ago "just in case". One developed full blown scabs all the way around yesterday. We bleached everything: feed dishes, water trough, walls of the shelter where they sleep, and burned all old bedding. The other still has pink and irritated lips but no scabs and it looks like it's clearing up. I've been using the epsom salt/warm water mouth dip and have been applying caramex twice daily. It's healing up nicely on the one with actual crusting and gloved up myself always.
    So, should I vaccinate the rest of the herd now or cross my fingers and hope nobody else has picked it up? So far everybody else is good and no temps to the two "sick" girls. They are eating/drinking well. No scabs dropped in the pasture because we caught it quickly (knock, knock, knock). I guess it's possibly thorn irritation becaue we have lots of wild rasberries in the pasture, but it wouldn't account for all the way around the lips and looks like a mild case of sore mouth from the pics I've seen.
    I'm about to make a list of what I haven't experienced yet with our herd and go out to buy all the remedies for it. :hair:
    Much thanks again to the wormy boer breeder. :wink:
    Any suggestions on the vaccine if everybody else stays clean for the next week?

2. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Soremouth vaccine is a "live virus" vaccine. It's not even a "modified" live virus vaccine -- it's pretty much just a vial of liquid soremouth virus, made from ground-up scabs. The only difference is that you get to choose where to put it; some folks make a scratch on the inner thigh and put it there...some folks put it on the tailweb...I know a lady who did the inner ear of a boer once and ended up with a case of "sore eye", which was FAR worse than sore mouth.

If you vaccinate someone on the inner thigh or tailweb, and another one sniffs the scab or something...bam...that one's got soremouth now.

All things considered, I'd skip the vaccine and just continue isolating anyone who comes up infected.. If it makes its way through the entire herd, well...at least they'll all be "vaccinated" then! :p

This too shall pass. :)

3. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Ah! Well, if it's a live vaccine that will actually cause it then I could have saved the vaccine cost and "innoculated" everyone for free! Good point. These two are young with awesome immune systems and it's very mild so I feel fortunate (gotta love kiko genetics). Thank you! I'll take my chances with nobody else getting it.

4. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    One good thing about Soremouth is supposedly once they have gotten it, they shouldn't get it again. It is a nuisance-but there are far more serious issues that one may have to deal with when having goats-like CL or CAE.

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you, Briana. If there wasn't a 1 week old doeling out there I would probably just let them all become exposed at once so we could be done with it, but I'm afraid to let it get in the pasture and expose future babies, too. So the two remain in isolation. :p
    It's a very mild case, thankfully. And it's good to hear they wont get it again! :leap:

6. If it were me, and you do not have births exspecting and or kids on the ground nursing I would let it go through and do its thing to get it out of the way. If you do have these things isolate them and let the others deal with it. If you can let it go at once, it is much better then, like with chicken pocks, having one today and months later another and anther and so on. Just my thoughts.

7. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Nobody is bred, but we do have a one-week-old nursing. However, her mother is the herd queen and a cantankerous one at that. Nobody comes near the baby without limping away. Should I just let it run it's course, then, and turn the two girls out? One is completely over it and the other now just has dried corners of her mouth with red on the bottom lip where the hair fell out. No more blisters/scabs.

8. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    You could isolate the baby and bottlefeed, and let it run its course. I think it stays in the ground. If you scrape the ground and clean the pen really really really good you might be rid of it within a couple years.

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Of course though if the baby is in the pen it's been exposed to sore mouth already-may not get it-but it's been exposed.

10. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Hmmmm. I could seperate mom and baby and let everyone else get it, but that would mean moving mom and baby into the isolation pen (after scraping/bleaching) and then they'd get it as soon as I let them back into the pasture if it's in the ground. No way to scrape all 2 1/2 acres. I guess I'll just wait for these two to finish up and turn them out with a clean bill of health and if somebody else gets it they just do. :shrug: Too bad it's not just a herd of adults and let them all get it in the isolation pen together to keep the pasture clean. Thinking of it like chicken pox makes it seem like less of something for me to stress over. Thank you!

11. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    They may not get it automatically-but probably eventually.