The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we've got this older boer doe. Her lips are all swelled up and looked to be a little scabbed over. It looks like it itches because she appears to be trying to rub her mouth on our legs to scratch. And another thing, her breath is awful. Is this sore mouth?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
There is a good chance, but go out and look in side her mouth at like her toung, if there is white dots on it get her on pen. Get a pic of her mouth or look up pics of sore mouth to be sure. I purchased a few older does and I have sore mouth here, the old girls got it and one got like a 2nd infection on the inside of her mouth, it was very nasty.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Make sure to wear gloves when ever you handle them, incase it is soremouth. People can get it also.

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
If it is sore mouth... I just found something that works like magic to clear it up!! I've only tried it on one goat, but it really worked. Get a tube of Today or Tomorrow (I think it is meant for mastitis) from a farm store and put some all over the scabs. We saw huge improvement the next day and after 3 days it is completely gone! This doe had had soremouth for weeks and weeks and nothing else worked!

·
Registered
36 Posts
This morning the does'mouth is swollen doubly and the smell is awful. Smells like stinky wound infection. My regular vet is not in. Only vet in is about 6 months put of vet school and does mostly small animal. HELP! I don't think this is sore mouth. Did not see any wounds from snake bite. Can't see her tongue due to her pulling it back and swelling. Can't get a hold very well due to gloves. May just give pen anyway. This smells horrible!

·
Registered
36 Posts
May have husband hold get so I can check for access, since that is sorry of what it smells like. Still doesn't explain swelling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I gave her a shot of Pen, because I'm sure there is infection with the smell. I also gave banamine for pain and swelling. Posting pics. Sorry of looks like giant abscess in her lip to me. Thoughts?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't get the vet out. My vet is not on right now. The only vet on right now is only out of vet school by 6 months and deals mostly in small animals. I'm not in any way confident that she can handle this. No other vets in the area can handle goats. It's the situation of when my vet is not the one on call, I'm on my own. I have his personal cell number, but I only want to use that in an extreme emergency and on really nice goats. I don't want to take advantage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This infection seems similar to that of another goat in this forum titled "goat with bad foot". This infection after many vet appointments and procedures is still not resolved. I really think these two incidences are related. These two goats have NEVER been together though. I need to find out what is causing these infections so that I don't have any more come down with this. Please HELP!

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Your doe looks very ganted up like she isn't drinking or eating well. Have you checked her for dehydration? If you pinch a little skin, pull it up then let go. It should snap right back into place, if it doesn't she is dehydrated and needs fluids ASAP. If she can not drink you will need to get some lactated ringers to give her fluids Sub Q.

Sore mouth is caused by a virus and generally has to run its course, but giving antibiotics can help prevent secondary infection. Kind of like with pink eye, how you treat the eyes to prevent infection, but have to let the pink eye virus run its course.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Thats sore mouth, and its so wonderful it hits the old girls the worse. I did not call a vet on my girl, wet her food, your doing great on the pen. When crossroad told me about the tomorrow it makes sooooo much sense. We used it on a rattle snake bite on a dog and cut her heal time in half, go ahead and I would give that a shot. I think its a good idea for the pain shot, I know my old lady was hating life. If you go to the feed store they should have a bag of alfalfa hay that the grind up and put molases on, That should work great for her to eat. I dont even think if you did take her to the vet they could do anything for her other then antibiotics. And also with infections like this I would be giving her shots IM, I hate IM but it hits the system faster. I think the biggest thing to watch for is to make sure she drinks, you can go a long time with no food but water is different.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
She is very very skinny... you might want to syringe some water into her and look at her eyelids.

She looks like she needs to gain about 30 pounds, really. I would get her on some alfalfa when she gets better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will reiterate one more time-THERE IS NO AVAILABLE GOAT VET NOW! We all know a vet who does not know anything about goats is worse than no vet at all.

Working on getting her hydrated. She is eating grain and hay. I gave both meds subQ. Does sore mouth usually have a horrible smell? The girls we have had with it before it did not smell and it had almost wart looking spots. There are no bumps. Just pus and swelling. Wish there was a smell sharing button. Thanks for all advice.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I know what your talking about, yes its sore mouth but has also turned into a very very bad infection, my oldest goat was just like yours and was a bit 'nicer' the younger they were. Keep her on the pen, I was just telling you what I would and did do, and that was give the shots IM so it would hit the system faster. Im not saying this is nothing, it sucks, but your in the same boat I was at the time, no vet, just do the best you can, mine pulled trew after a few weeks, but you need to keep that pen. up. Im trying to remember what all I did for mine, I think I put molasses in her water, not a whole lot just to kinda make it a treat to drink. I also put listerine (sp check, mouth wash lol) the best I could on it. I cant remember what it was called but its a antibiotic past stuff, its in the horse section, black jar yellow lid, that stuff is awsome. I think thats for the most part it. And yes she is going to look like crap right now since she does not feel good and is not eating like she should be, once she gets over this she will put the weight back on.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Just because there is not a goat vet, doesn't mean you can't call the vet out! You need some meds, anti-biotics, now
and you need a vet scrip for those.... Call the vet.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts