The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks Jessica. That makes it more clear. She seemed much better tonight. I think the banamine eased the pain enough for her to drink on her own. She was completely rehydrated and didn't look quite as ribby. I think I will continue with banamine as well as pen. I know banamine can be hard on the tummy, but I think its the lesser of two evils right now.

Any old vet is not ever a good choice! You wouldn't take your child to the eye doctor when they have a cavity. I wohope any good goat owner would have a stock of any meds that could potentially be needed on hand, prescription or not. I have heard too many dog vets give advice that Saad not only incorrect, but could have been lethal for a goat. So no, I will not ever call any vet and I don't recommend it to anyone else.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I can see the need for a vet but I also agree that a bad vet often makes it worse. Years ago we had a mobile vet come out to check on a goat that we knew had a very serious case of phenomena. The vet, mostly a pet vet, says, "Well it could be that but I think it maybe a throat irritation". And then charged us 200 for the visit and 10 times the normal amount for medications... which of course she didnt get right.

This doe had such a bad case of phenomena that if you wiggled her you could hear the liquid slash in her lungs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OMG you poor thing <3
So much advise what to do?
I have none for you on this, but i would just like to say; i think you are great, the love & care you are showing the goat is above & beyond.
God bless you both :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ive never heard that a cqt can get it. I've had sore mouth here for years now and I wayyyyyy too many cats and none has ever got it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I want to share something I learned here for my soremouth treatment. Use Campho-phenique on it. We had a really severe case with our fair sheep. The vet came for another reason and knew she was coming back in two days to do their health check. She said there was no way it would be cleared up enough to pass.

Well, when she came back I had been using the Campho- phenique for three days. It was completely healed. The vet was so impressed! She said she would never have believed me if she hadn't seen it herself. The only thing left was the hairless patches just above her lips.

Dani on here gave me this advice- very good advice if I say so myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
No I 100% agree about had vets. My all time favorite doe is dead because of a stupid vet....and to make it worse he was a lied to me about how she died said she bled to death but when I showed up to get her body there was not a large amount of blood...I know he gave her too much of the stuff to knock her out. I even for a long time said I would shoot any animal that I couldn't fix then take to a vet. I feel soooo blessed with the vet I have now. He's not 100% goat smart but he doesn't put down any concerns I have he will work around them. I even did loose a doe after taking her to him but he was up front and honest about her. If he ever retired I would probably go back to the putting down myself thought......good thing he's fairly young lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Goats are so sensitive to anesthesia. So sorry to hear that. some people just don't get that, but I'm sure they will experience it one day if they aren't cautious. Thanks again for the advice.

·
2,377 Posts
That could be the really bad variety of sore mouth.. It looks extreme. You are right to start antibiotics as she must have an infection started from this. You will have to be really diligent to get fluids down this goat and food. This goat is probably in too much pain to eat. Also needs all sorts of vitamins .. and if you have no access to bshots .. get some mollasses.. nutra drench.. probios .. something down her to give her energy.. You can't go wrong at this time getting food nutrients and liquid into her at this time. So now.. if it is sore mouth.. be prepared to see it pop up in all your herd. There is not a lot to prevent that now to the others but you need to try to prevent & treat secondary infections and keep fluids in.

·
2,377 Posts
Maybe someone can help with advice on what to give the others that maybe about to get sore mouth also.. I don't know how accurate this is but ... copper defficiency has supposedly encouraged the sore mouth (Orf) virus to take over a weaker goats system quicker and harder. If the others are treated with good safe amounts of minerals and copper ... perhaps there is a chance that the rest will not get it as badly.
I am sorry you are going through this.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Now, don't get me wrong...I love my vet. But, when I had to bring a doe in for an emergency c-section, if I hadn't been there during the operation, I believe she would have died. They got her on the "gas" and she was anesthetized, they were all working on the surgery...but...nobody was monitoring her respiration...I thought "she's not breathing", so I went over and increased the oxygen...she took a breath...I increased a little more and she was then breathing ok. Then she moved a little and I increased the gas. Now, I do have some experience with this, in a Dental aspect, but, not an expert for sure.

So, from now on if my goats need surgery, I will absolutely be in the room with them.

I see you have had good advice, that is a secondary infection in her mouth. The antibiotic should help that. I have used campho phenique before...seems it's an old remedy that we have forgotten about.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Speaking of euthanasia....I have often wondered how "humane" it really is....I mean, if it's an animal you have to crate up,load up, travel, unload,uncrate get into the office (where they are all terrified usually) and THEN give a shot?....never made sense to me....home done jobs seem more humane to me.

My brother has the right idea for his dog...he's 13 now but when he gets bad, he plans to have a bunch of his dog's favorite people around and have a vet come out and give the shot while he is with all his favorite people.That's humane.

Or even give it some of it's favorite food and "dispatch" it without it seeing it coming....that's humane.

Sorry to run off topic....just got to thinkin' :eek:

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Speaking of ....I have often wondered how "humane" it really is....I mean, if it's an animal you have to crate up,load up, travel, unload,uncrate get into the office (where they are all terrified usually) and THEN give a shot?....never made sense to me....home done jobs seem more humane to me.

My brother has the right idea for his dog...he's 13 now but when he gets bad, he plans to have a bunch of his dog's favorite people around and have a vet come out and give the shot while he is with all his favorite people.That's humane.

Or even give it some of it's favorite food and "dispatch" it without it seeing it coming....that's humane.

Sorry to run off topic....just got to thinkin' :eek:
euthanasia as in put down??? I will NEVER do that to one of my animals. A friend had the vet come put to put her horse down I had to put my friend in the car and get her out of there. That horse screamed and flopped Around. I have had 2 goats so far that needs to be put down. I put some grain in front of them told them they were good girls walked behind them and shot them. No pain no stress.
Any how I am wondering how your girl is doing??? And yes you will have sore mouth from now on. At first I tried to keep ones that came down with it away from everyone else but now it is what it is. Just watch very young kids and as you now know anyone with some age to them. It always shows its ugly head around here when it turns really hot or really cold. Have read that extream weather conditions seem to trigger another out break.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
euthanasia as in put down??? I will NEVER do that to one of my animals. A friend had the vet come put to put her horse down I had to put my friend in the car and get her out of there. That horse screamed and flopped Around. I have had 2 goats so far that needs to be put down. I put some grain in front of them told them they were good girls walked behind them and shot them. No pain no stress.
Any how I am wondering how your girl is doing??? And yes you will have sore mouth from now on. At first I tried to keep ones that came down with it away from everyone else but now it is what it is. Just watch very young kids and as you now know anyone with some age to them. It always shows its ugly head around here when it turns really hot or really cold. Have read that extream weather conditions seem to trigger another out break.
yes, I agree with home euthanasia....much kinder!

I don't know if you were talking to me but I have no soremouth here! Thankfully!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Sounds like that vet was an idiot. Had our vet put down two older does earlier this year. They were asleep in 10-15 seconds and dead in 30.
I agree vet was a idiot I had to have my dog whom I loved more than anything put down and she went very peacefully after the shot quiet at home in my arms I wouldn't have it any other way

·
Registered
31,073 Posts
Ive had to put down three goats in my 8 years..I had my vet do it...he first gives them something to relax them..they get real drowsy and relaxed..he gently helps them lay down... then once they were relaxed he gave the other meds all the while soothing and talking to them..its always very peaceful and humane..any vet that cant take the time to go the extra mile to make it as stress free as possible shouldn't be allowed to do it...

21 - 40 of 51 Posts