The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
31,517 Posts
http://www.jackmauldin.com/sore_mouth.html

This link shares how using today/tomorrow mastisis treatment worked for sore mouth..he had a few bad cases as your little gal...Im glad the banamine helps..it is hard on the liver...but lots of fluid to help flush will be helpful..right now she needed relief.
Keeping her well hydrated and fed is hard when they mouth hurts. If she still struggles to eat..soak alfalfa pellets until mushy and drench with turkey baster..add Yogurt for a bit of probiotics ... with that bad of a case of sore mouth I would also be giving Pen G for 5-7 days just to help her immune system fight secondary infections and Daily B complex to keep her interested in eating and energy....(sorry if any of this has already been mentioned, I honestly just skimmed the whole post)
Best wishes

·
Registered
36 Posts
My old girl is fine. Antibiotics took away they infection. Once that was gone it was apparent it was just sore mouth. Have my own home remedy for sore mouth. I think everyone has one. Most of my herd had already been exposed to sore mouth, so I put her back with the herd. No one else turned up with it. Yay! Good to know we have some immunity since we will start "making kids" soon. She is still on the thinner side, but the put old girl doesn't have much for front teeth. She is hydrated and seems very happy munching away with the rest of the herd.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
31,517 Posts
glad she is better

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Glad she's doing better. There is a vaccine for sore mouth says it can be used in goats. Kind of an odd way to give a vaccine though as you have to scarify the area first and then brush the dose on the area. Might be a good idea for you to use it though, especially in your kids so they do not get it. http://www.colorado-serum.com/csc/ovine_ectmya.html

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Glad she's doing better. There is a vaccine for sore mouth says it can be used in goats. Kind of an odd way to give a vaccine though as you have to scarify the area first and then brush the dose on the area. Might be a good idea for you to use it though, especially in your kids so they do not get it. http://www.colorado-serum.com/csc/ovine_ectmya.html
I looked into that as well. I was going to order some but decided to talk to the vet first. Its a live virous and is only good for a few hours after you mix the powder and liquid. I wanna say it comes in 50 doses. I decided not to do it since I don't kid all my does at one time. I have kids all threw the year so would have to buy a bottle a month just for a few kids. If someone does already have sore mouth and has all their does kid at once I think that's a great idea. Just thought I would share how the vac. Works ;)

So happy your girl is doing better. Yes its so hard on them especially when it turns into a infection. Just give her some extras and shell be back to normal soon

·
2,377 Posts
Oh.. yeah! I am so glad that she is doing better. And Yes... maybe your herd has an immunity to it and will not get it. I have read a lot on this sore mouth issue. There appears to be so many varieties and degrees to this virus. I would not want to vaccinate at all with the virus as it is a 'live' virus that you are vaccinating with.. and you have to be very careful with it not to get it on yourself. Any contagious 'live' virus makes me nervous. Once the scabs drop on your property, they are there for the next year as well and this virus evidentally will 'burn' itself out getting less & less of a punch. I personally won't bother vaccinating for it but we don't have show or fair animals.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I have had sore mouth for 5 years now.....for me it never goes away but only the new kids or goats end up getting it not everyone. So I think sine I have nice fresh little scabs every year to infect again I will never be over it.

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
That looks like Interdigital Dermititis and it IS contagious to your other goats and sheep.

Start by washing with an anti-fungal Iodine based scrub such as surgical scub. Treat with Copper-tox in the evening and tea tree oil in the morning and afternoon. Keep it as clean as possible, dry, and open to the air.

It's a difficult disease caused by a soil living bacteria. We see it often on dairy farms where the ground is moist.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts